Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio

Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio

Thursday, September 1st, 2016 8:26am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Press Releases
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 28,861

After yesterday's reveal via an interview with John Barber and Fico Ossio, of the IDW Publishing Revolutionaries book - featuring Kup, Blackrock, Mayday, Action Man and more - we now also have the official press release from the comics company themselves. Find out more below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Revolution Paves Way For Revolutionaries

A New Team of Hasbro Characters Unite To Form REVOLUTIONARIES

San Diego, CA (September 1, 2016) – REVOLUTION was only the beginning! Once the dust settles on Revolution, IDW’s groundbreaking event series that catapulted a new comic book universe into existence, heroes and villains will rise from the ashes to form new alliances and take on even greater challenges in this brave new comic world.

REVOLUTIONARIES will be born.

A G.I. Joe, a man of action, and a few Cybertronians thrown in for good measure, will form the basis of a team unlike any ever conceived before.

REVOLUTIONARIES, the latest addition to the first wave of post-Revolution titles, will further explore and shape the fledgling comic universe which encompasses TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, ROM, MICRONAUTS, ACTION MAN, and M.A.S.K.: MOBILE ARMORED STRIKE KOMMAND.

This series will reunite Revolution writer John Barber and artist Fico Ossio and will team characters from every corner of this action-packed series, showcasing a full slate of mind-blowing guest stars, including both old favorites and exciting new additions. In addition to the regular players of Action Man, Blackrock (Transformers), Mayday (G.I. Joe), and Kup (Transformers), Revolutionaries will feature a rotating cast of teammates, opening the door for dream team-ups from issue to issue. These Revolutionaries will band together over the course of the unraveling central storyline, a mysterious plot, that serves as the backbone throughout the series.

Join the REVOLUTION on September 14 when the debut issue arrives and prepare for the next stage of evolution with REVOLUTIONARIES this December.

Credit(s): IDW

This article was last modified on Thursday, September 1st, 2016 10:13am CDT

Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1820785)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on September 1st, 2016 @ 10:42am CDT
Easy skip for me.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1821041)
Posted by Windsweeper on September 2nd, 2016 @ 7:50am CDT
Crossovers are rarely good. More humans to outshine the Transformers!

I'm sick of Barber and I never liked Kup. At least Roche and Roberts use lesser known characters.

Let's see some different characters.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1821052)
Posted by Va'al on September 2nd, 2016 @ 8:33am CDT
Windsweeper wrote:So sick of Kup, Arcee, Optimus, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, Rattrap, Windblade, the Wreckers and Alpha Trion.

Let's see some different characters.

I'll admit, I'm confused by your comment.

You say that you'd rather see new characters, which I get, and that you don't like Kup. Ok. You then list all the other characters you've had enough of, and ask for different ones. Fine.

We reported that this book will have Kup - and new character Titan Master Blackrock. Not new enough? :-?
Also, it's not a Transformers book, but a shared IDWverse book. It will include a rotating cast next to the core one. There might be something to interest you once it kicks in!
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1841702)
Posted by Big Grim on November 17th, 2016 @ 10:41am CST
This might be worth keeping an eye on. Maybe.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1841728)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 17th, 2016 @ 1:53pm CST
Big Grim wrote:This might be worth keeping an eye on. Maybe.

The main reason I have hope for the series is it has Kup and Action man, and I liked the duo in the Action Man: Revolution story.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1847185)
Posted by Va'al on December 14th, 2016 @ 1:45pm CST
Fico Ossio's Kup redesign.

Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1847199)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 14th, 2016 @ 3:24pm CST
Um, I'm not feeling it. I really like his current design, and this looks... off to me
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1850402)
Posted by Va'al on January 4th, 2017 @ 3:35am CST
Via Previews World once more, we have another variant cover part of the Sara Pitre Durocher graffiti art pattern, part of the set of variants for the upcoming IDW Revolutionaries #1 comic - featuring none other than Transformers old timer Kup! The covers can be interconnected in any order, too, thanks to the brick design. Check it out below.

Revolutionaries #1

(W) John Barber (A) Fico Ossio (CA) Sara Pitre-Durocher
THE REVOLUTION MAY BE OVER--but the future is just beginning! Ripped from the pages of the hottest crossover of the year, the REVOLUTION team of John Barber and Fico Ossio continue the action! KUP is a CYBERTRONIAN literally older than the universe; ACTION MAN is the ultimate special agent trying to live up to an impossible legacy; MAYDAY is a G.I. JOE leader trying to rescue her first command; and BLACKROCK is a CYBERTRONIAN that thinks he's a human. It takes the mind-bending clash of ROM versus MAJOR BLUDD and the OKTOBER GUARD to bring this unlikely team together... and the secret they learn threatens to unravel the entire universe.
• New tales that continue the storyline of the hit Revolution comic-book event and featuring the same amazing creative team!
• Exclusive bound-in, Sgt. Savage mini-comic reprinting a lost tale written and drawn by the late, great JOE KUBERT himself!
• The secrets of the Hasbro universe will be revealed. If you follow one new book this month, make it Revolutionaries!
In Shops: Jan 18, 2017

Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1850451)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 4th, 2017 @ 12:36pm CST
I am reading this solely for the Kup/Action man pairing.

No interest in GI Joe despite Skywarp, but this: I'll give it a sampler taste
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1850534)
Posted by VanOscuro on January 4th, 2017 @ 7:44pm CST
Why did they pick Kup out of all the cast? Not complaining, just curious.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1850548)
Posted by ScottyP on January 4th, 2017 @ 8:58pm CST
VanOscuro wrote:Why did they pick Kup out of all the cast? Not complaining, just curious.
To hazard a guess - Barber has been the writer for both Kup and Action Man as of late, wanted to have a TF pal for Action Man, and liked their dynamic. It was one of the parts of Revolution that I thought worked really well, so I'm intrigued to see it continue.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852733)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 16th, 2017 @ 6:47pm CST
iTunes has provided a preview of the upcoming IDW Revolutionaries #1. This new book features Kup, G.B. Blackrock, and Ayana Jones AKA Mayday from Transformers along with Action Man and some more characters from other Hasbro properties. The book will pick up where Revolution left off crossover wise. Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

THE REVOLUTION MAY BE OVER--but the future is just beginning! Ripped from the pages of the hottest crossover of the year, the REVOLUTION team of John Barber and Fico Ossio continue the action! KUP is a CYBERTRONIAN literally older than the universe; ACTION MAN is the ultimate special agent trying to live up to an impossible legacy; MAYDAY is a G.I. JOE leader trying to rescue her first command; and BLACKROCK is a CYBERTRONIAN that thinks he’s a human. It takes the mind-bending clash of ROM versus MAJOR BLUDD and the OKTOBER GUARD to bring this unlikely team together... and the secret they learn threatens to unravel the entire universe.

Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852739)
Posted by Va'al on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:08pm CST
Odd that this should go up as the main preview is also due today tomorrow (and the comic this week). Hm.
IDW scheduling magic, I suppose. :-?
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852746)
Posted by LE0KING on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:38pm CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852749)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:43pm CST
LE0KING wrote:I can't help but feel like hasbro is pushing GI Joe too much. They are literally in every comic save lost light, and I'm not putting it past them to find a way to force em in. Why are they forcing them so much?

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

It bugs me too. They took skywarp and threw him into GI Joe so the comic would take off again, and then we got Kup in this one, and we got GI Joes all over Optimus Prime. I'm not even sure we'll get a satisfying Spike story with all the Joes now present, and they to me have been the least interesting of the characters in the crossover
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852763)
Posted by dragons on January 16th, 2017 @ 9:14pm CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

Gijoe is only team that had more crossovers with transformers than anything starting with marvel series and going with idw, avengers had crossover with transformers that was one time
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852787)
Posted by Nexus Knight on January 16th, 2017 @ 11:38pm CST
dragons wrote:

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

I'm will in to bet they're trying to show the human perspective of the Transformers' wars on Earth, or show we're not worthless idiots in the this continuity. If that's the case... they must not remember Skywatch...
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852865)
Posted by ScottyP on January 17th, 2017 @ 11:54am CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"
Because if they can rebrand and rebuild GI Joe in a way that makes it relevant and interesting, it's a license to print money.

Also, on the surface, yeah, they're everywhere. Joe fans probably think there are too many Transformers everywhere. But from the TF side, look at this book. Mayday is just Ayana from exRiD. OP 2's cast of Joes was almost all established TF comic human characters just with Joe badges and codenames thrown on. It's not like Lady Jaye is bouncing her boobs around in front of Arcee claiming GI Cis superiority while Roadblock takes a crap on Tailgate and Snake Eyes domesticates Prowl.

That's in the Japanese toy pack in comics, obviously :P
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852922)
Posted by Va'al on January 17th, 2017 @ 5:30pm CST
As this week sees the first issue of the new IDW series post-Revolution, featuring Transformers characters Kup and Blackrock, plus Action Man and GI Joe - and written by continuity wizard John Barber, with art by Fico Ossio - Comicosity were able to have a chat with the two creators to promote thebook and give us a little more information. Check out some snippets below, the full piece here, and look out of our review of the issue soon!

Aaron Long: Revolution merged the Hasbro properties into a shared universe, with Revolutionaries now spinning out of the event. What will readers be seeing in this series?

John Barber: Lots of fast-paced action and big world-building. The Revolutionaries team is made up of Mayday (who’s a G.I. Joe agent), Kup and Blackrock (who are Transformers), and Action Man (who’s English). So they’re already kinda all over the place to start with, but right off the bat they have to team up with Rom and the Micronauts to fight the Oktober Guard and the new Storm Shadow. Nothing’s off the table!

So we’ll be seeing big crossovers between characters, plus we’ll be going all over the world. If you’re a fan of the Hasbro characters—from the comics or the toys or the cartoons—there will be little nods, or returns to places and ideas from all over. Remember when Cobra had a base on the moon? We do. And we’re trying to pull in things from all over the history of the characters—like, I don’t know if anybody was expecting the Sgt. Savage and his Screaming Eagles relaunch of G.I. Joe, but that stuff plays a role.

If you’re not familiar with this weird stuff, no worries—we’re introducing all these ideas, not expecting you’re an expert. But that said, we’ve done our homework.

[...]

AL: The ongoing cast consists of Action Man, Blackrock, Mayday and Kup. Can you dis-cuss how this mix of characters was decided upon to anchor the title?

JB: At the Revolution writer’s retreat, Cullen Bunn suggested that since Action Man’s comic was a limited series, he’d be without a home post-Revolution. (Action Man, not Cullen, who has a nice home). So it might be good to have A.M. looking over what everybody else was doing—like, his mandate might be to monitor everybody worldwide. And Mairghread Scott sort of riffed on that that you could do with it, suggested it could be a little like Global Frequency and have self-contained stories about this world. And I wound up getting elected to write it because I’d done Action Man and sort of knew a lot about where the universe was going. (In the comics, I mean. Certainly not in real life).

So, I thought if we made this a team with Action Man, really gave this a different feel, it’d be a good fit to add the Transformers character Blackrock, who’d just be coming out of the Titans Return story. Blackrock is a tech-CEO who discovered his memories were false and he’s a Cybertronian. He’s Cybertronian, but his alt-mode is basically a human.

I knew we’d want somebody from G.I. Joe, but I suggested we could sort of push things here and use this to develop a new character, or anyway to build up a character Andrew Griffith and I had set up in Transformers, but who’d now be in G.I. Joe. We gave Anya Jones the semi-obscure out-of-use Joe code-name of Mayday, and she’s become sort of the leader of the team—Action Man is still new to the job; Blackrock is new to this life; so Mayday has the experi-ence with aliens and military tactics.

Kup was originally going somewhere else, or so I thought, but then it turned out Kup wasn’t really going to fit into that other series, and I thought he was too good a character to lose track of, but he wasn’t really essential to what Kei Zama and I were going to do in the Optimus Prime comic… but with about a half-second’s thought, I realized Kup’s an old soldier, and the idea of getting him together with this young, mostly-inexperienced team was just the thing Revolutionaries needed.

FO: Well, when I came on board the cast was already set. And I think they picked a great set of characters. Plus it feels a lot more tightknit and relatable than Revolution. Working on a smaller cast allows us to develop these characters more, and John is writing them awesomely. For my part, I focused on working more detail into their design. I got the chance to redesign Blackrock and it´s definitely a new look for the character, closer to his cybetronian nature. And well… I got carried away and kept going with Mayday: new armor suit! We did keep her hairstyle though… Nah, in all seriousness I wanted them to look the part of a lead character. Action Man´s design was pretty awesome already.

[...]

AL: Fico, with Revolution and now Revolutionaries you’ve penciled the vast majority of Hasbro characters. Are there any particular characters or a particular group that you get the most excited to work on?

FO: Well… It´s hard not to get excited to draw Blackrock with the new design. I also enjoy drawing Mayday a lot. I really feel it´s important to have a strong female character, and I very much love paying attention to every detail on how we portray her to reinforce that. She rocks.

Action Man has the best lines, John is really bringing life to all these characters so it’s hard not to enjoy drawing all these characters.

And lastly, I´m always exited to see them pop out of the pages with Seba’s colors. He is doing a fantastic job, as always.
Re: Press Release for IDW Revolutionaries by John Barber and Fico Ossio (1852948)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on January 17th, 2017 @ 7:18pm CST
Maybe this won't be quite so bad after all. At least we know that Kup isn't missing out on anything now (I think I read a complaint about that), and there seemed to be a few nods to the fact that the writers understand the general reception of Revolution and are attempting something a bit different. That's how I read it, at least.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY