Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 6:49am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,350

We've already shown the preview for this week's Robots in Disguise #30, so why not check out an iTunes sneak peek at what's coming later this month? IDW Publishing's Mariel Romero has uploaded three pages from Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 - the issue in which Megatron's trial ends - and we've mirrored them below!

EVACUATION! Is it possible for a starship to object to its captain? That’s what the AUTOBOTS are asking MEGATRON as the Lost Light becomes the most dangerous place in the universe!

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Credit(s): Mariel Romero, iTunes

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580751)
Posted by Yweggo on June 10th, 2014 @ 7:11am CDT
I see Sandstorm!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580759)
Posted by 2saisai on June 10th, 2014 @ 7:44am CDT
MAGNUS HAMMER :grin:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580765)
Posted by Optimizzy on June 10th, 2014 @ 8:18am CDT

Clench maybe?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580768)
Posted by partholon on June 10th, 2014 @ 8:25am CDT
seacons and terrorcons.

nice to see they got out of the lost lights brig !

:D

gotta say one of the aspects of MTMTEs current storyline that i really REALLY like is the megatron trial.

im Dying to see how they get him off the hook to end up captaining the ship.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580769)
Posted by Midnight_Fox on June 10th, 2014 @ 8:26am CDT
Now I want Classics style Terrorcons and Seacons even more...
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580795)
Posted by BumbleDouche on June 10th, 2014 @ 10:16am CDT
That cover... Signalling the return of the RodPod?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580867)
Posted by Shadowstream on June 10th, 2014 @ 12:47pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:whos that green, purple, and orange decepticon(?) with springers mold in the last page?

Clench maybe?

Looks more like Stalker to me... which is all kinds of not right, since Springer killed him back in LSotW

Not that it could be Clench either since Megatron killed him before the war even started.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580906)
Posted by Tal El on June 10th, 2014 @ 2:52pm CDT
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this trial pans out. And, I have to say, Megatron/Roberts makes a really good point about what a farce of trial this is. The Autobots are totally brushing over their own war crimes and having Prime sit as judge is incredibly unjust. That being said, this trial is about Megatron's guilt and I'd like to see the NAILs of Cybertron hold the Autobots for their part of the war too.

Way to go, Roberts. Great stuff in just a handful of pages!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1580914)
Posted by Nisus on June 10th, 2014 @ 3:21pm CDT
Who says giant robots can't have courtroom drama?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1582983)
Posted by Va'al on June 17th, 2014 @ 4:18am CDT
Roberts is back to teasing. :D

We have a piece of dialogue, probably from the end of the trial:

"I resorted to force only when I realised that the system had been engineered to withstand every other form of dissent."

Megatron
MTMTE #30

And two songs to accompany the issue (which, for now, also sound very Megatron-centric)!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1582985)
Posted by Va'al on June 17th, 2014 @ 4:25am CDT
I am relatively unsure about the approach taken to Megatron, ex-socialist turned totalitarian dictator, especially with the addition of the segregation and social justice themes of the PIL song. :-?

I'm not sure how I feel with him being likeable. The political connections and connotations have too many echoes with European historical figures for me to fully adhere to the idea. I'll have to wait and see, I suppose.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1583132)
Posted by Tal El on June 17th, 2014 @ 12:40pm CDT
I too am curious to see how this all pans out. The real problem the writers are having is how do you turn a character, whose motivation was to be evil for the sake of being evil, into someone believable. I'm digging the apartheid-like history of Cybertron. It's much more believable than just being some sort of utopia until the Decepticons came out of nowhere and started blowing stuff up. Shapism, in this society, feels real.

Personally, I've been waiting for this storyline and trial ever since Megs and Prime had their quiet conversations aboard Omega Supreme way back in Chaos Theory.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1583605)
Posted by Va'al on June 19th, 2014 @ 4:33am CDT
Thanks to comics and entertainment website Newsarama for posting their previews for next week's Transformers releases from IDW. You can find mirrored below the first seven pages of Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, issue that concludes Megatron's trial and sends him off into space!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #30: Dawn of the Autobots
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
- DAWN OF THE AUTOBOTS continues!
- MEGATRON commands the AUTOBOTS in space!
- Variant cover by Guido Guidi!

Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585619)
Posted by Va'al on June 25th, 2014 @ 4:03am CDT
O Captain! My Captain!
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Swerve, trusting the captain

Story

Everything is going amiss. Or missing. Or disappearing. On the Lost Light, that is, as we've seen so far since issue #28. And there's that coffin issue, a possible ghost, scheming and plotting and antipathies and Swerve, serving as a recap device on the first page. But that's not all going on, of course - and some things are being found, or found out.

Dun dun duuuuunn

At the same time, six months previously, the Megatron trial is coming to an end, though not necessarily as we saw it going in the first place, as some rogue 'loyal' Decepticons attempt to 'rescue' the defendant in the middle of the Luna 2 arena. And the beginning of some trialling (heh) changes in the legal process.

Clean up the bodies

Now, the end of the trial left me with mixed feelings: on the one hand, James Roberts' Megatron gains some truly great character work, but on the other, it felt, as I have mentioned before for other arcs, as if things were hurried on the lead into the rest of the plots and narratives (though not as much as the Overlord ending). On the third hand, however, so many characters are explored, from Rodimus to First Aid, to Getaway, Tailgate and even Riptide and Nautica, with a bit more of Optimus and Prowl, too. And it counterbalances it all.

There are feels emotions

Overall, then, while the 'conclusion' of the trial, on its surface, left me wondering, everything else around it makes the entire issue so developed and multifaceted that I can look over that small step I was hoping for in Megatron's story (see previous reviews for more on this, too).

Art

I will not gush on Alex Milne's artwork, but there is a lot to say about how the line- and panel-work in the issue really fits the story being told, with some excellent white-out frames, several massive spreads and splashes, and brilliant facial expressions with some manga-esque influences throughout the entire, beautiful book. And it all graces both the trial and the Lost Light scenes, equally and consistently.

Picture, words, worth

And the colours. The colours. We get to see some astonishing space-scapes from Joana Lafuente, and some fantastic lighting complementing the tone and layout of the artwork and panels, with some truly powerful dark/light contrasts for emotional moments. In addition, Tom B. Long's lettering is used to enhance only the moments that really need it, but really shines in the arena fight and scattered through the final act.

...

There is a ridiculous number of covers, and yes, they're all excellent. From the Milne/Lafuente main one to Nick Roche and Josh Burcham's subscription, to the thumbnailed Guido Guidi and John-Paul Bove magnificent Megatron (fitting, really) and the convention exclusive My Little Pony crossover by Tony Fleecs. Whew.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I have an issue with Roberts' endings, clearly, as I didn't think this packed the punch it could've - regarding Megatron's sentence and closing remarks, at least. But everything else really, really makes up for it, from a twist early on, to the characterisation of the big bad bot, to the development of the main plotline and the creation of more bonds, some of which potentially destructive for established others.

I.. um.. I.. well

And it all looks absolutely superb, from lines to panels to colours to letters to expressions to space - oh the space - and it has twists, plots, endings, beginnings, the RodPod, covers, Swerve's introdump/recap and 'bomps'. Not only that: it looks like, as of the next issue, we will return to early MTMTE, too - space horror. Grab the popcorn and/or your leg.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585645)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 25th, 2014 @ 7:56am CDT
Dying to read this but Comixology won't let me pay for and download it.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585688)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 25th, 2014 @ 10:25am CDT
Looking forward to reading this later. Only recently jumped back aboard the IDW series, but I'm glad I did.

I just hope that Megatron stays this way for a good while yet.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585694)
Posted by Bleak5170 on June 25th, 2014 @ 11:28am CDT
I'm more of a superhero guy than a Transformers fan, but in my opinion this is the best comic book money can buy right now.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585733)
Posted by ctrlFrequency on June 25th, 2014 @ 2:25pm CDT
MTMTE just keeps getting better and better, I swear it. And I already loved Whirl, but I think that my new quote for everything is going to be "I'm protesting my innocence by braiding my hair and watching off-world cinema" (I'm going to make a little wig for my Whirl figure)
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585782)
Posted by Quint on June 25th, 2014 @ 5:01pm CDT
I absolutely love the series however, in my humble opinion, character personas and voices are becoming a little homogenised and risk turning arguably the line's strength - humour - into a weakness.

Too many characters are opting for sardonic or otherwise witty responses. Typically - no, historically - both Prime and Megatron are sober individuals. Sarcasm, face palming and other modern, human idiosyncrasies are creeping into their characteristics which is a shame and reflects badly on Roberts; he's over-reaching for laughs. Roberts is writing a very good book, he doesn't need to try so hard in this area.

On the flip side the Swerve character interpretation, particularly now his monthly plot recap, is borderline genius.

On a different note, I'm very keen to see where Roberts, or IDW in general, take Hot Rod / Rodimus. As one of my favourite characters, I was on the look out for character arc and development, something that would show both contrition / attrition and transcendence after his, er, set of discretions. However it really hit home in this very issue that, combined with the sheer lack of progress on that score (despite hinting redemption would be a prevalent following the Tyrest saga), after 4.2 million years if he's still acting like a solipsist punk he ain't ever gonna change lol. Bit disappointing.

Although, Optimus calling out Rodimus' conceit in the Dark Cybertron saga was absolutely outstanding - in my opinion incredibly sophisticated writing.

Finally, despite any criticism above, it has to be said how much stronger the writing is in MTMTE than in RID. Although the latter's art has improved (better colouring? I can't quite put my finger on it) the writing continues to be clumsy, with 'bots frequently blurting out exactly what they're feeling and their motivations. Lazy. Prowl in the last issue being case in point.

Rant over, thanks for reading :D
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30 (1585794)
Posted by 1984forever on June 25th, 2014 @ 6:05pm CDT
More like Action Masters #30 as there were almost no transformations in this book at all.

Once again, the shelf warmers from the waning days of G1 clutter the pages and bog the story down. Roberts is at his best when writing about characters kids actually wanted years ago like Prime, Starscream and Megatron.

When will IDW and Hasbro stop catering to the 37 people scattered over the Internet who like Tailgate, Brainstorm and Swerve and get back to showcasing real Transformers?

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro RICOCHET NIGHTSTICK Transformers G1 TRU Commemorative Series IX MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Decepticon Headmaster Snapdragon Krunk" on EBAY
Buy "Scorponok Helmet Mask 1987 Vintage G1 Transformers Fasttrack Antenna Radar" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Scorponok 1st Run & Fast Track" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Ironworks SEALED War for Cybertron: Earthrise Deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wingspan Cloudraker Clones Walgreens MISB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive & Wingspan Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle For Cybertron Quintesson Invasion Shockwave Prowl" on EBAY