Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

Saturday, November 4th, 2017 11:58PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,744

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

This list will be very light on words since all these toys are on this list for very similar reasons. They all distinguish themselves in either their accuracy, engineering or design. And most of all, these jets look amazing in robot mode and have a very tight alt mode, which is crucial in a jet transformer (all these are based on real jets too). No crazy undercarriage here. Also, I am using the word "Jet" to encompass sleek modern aircraft which use jet engines. So no cargo planes or Concords.

5. Transformers Hunt For The Decepticons Terradive who transforms into a forward-swept wing fighter jet based on the Sukhoi Su-47.

This one is here for design. It's pretty cool that this was a new jet design made for the toy and not basing itself on the film aside from a general aesthetic that is combined with a more traditional Transformer look. I really love the originality of having his wings on his legs. It clears his back to give a far sleeker appearance which is perfect for the alt mode.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Prime: First Edition Starscream who transforms into a jet resembling a General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon.

I love this design. It is impressive how the toy designers found a way to convey the very thin character design and yet still have him transform perfectly.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

3. Transformers Classics Seeker mold which transform into an F-15 Eagle jet.

This mold is legendary and for good reason. Everything about it is spot on to the G1 show form head to feet. I especially like the coneheads since they end up with no jet kibble behind their heads.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mindwipe who transforms into a stealth bomber jet similar to a F-117 Nighthawk.

Now THAT is some toy! He (and his buddy Skystalker) are the reasons why I cannot say nothing good came from the ROTF movie. That toy line was insane. We had Voyager Bludgeon, the legendary Optimus Leader figure (which keeps getting reissued one way or another) and Mindwipe. The alt mode is dead on and translates really well into a robot modernizing the G1 Bat Transformer. There is no excess alt mode kibble in robot mode, no shell, and there are smooth panels. If it weren't for the slight chicken legs, you wouldn't think this has anything to do with the film. So much so that this mold was used for "Classics" Strafe.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Hunt For The Decepticons Leader Starscream who transforms into an officially licensed Lockheed-Martin F-22 Raptor fighter jet.

While movie toys are not my favourite, I can't ignore the good ones. There are quite a few and they are so good that they made three of the five entries on this list, including number 1. Leader Starscream made me a believer. I didn't like the wider look Starscream got in the films and I didn't like any of the toys. His hands were either non existent or seen easily in both modes. But this toy converted me. Firstly, the engineers found the perfect way to hide away and integrate his robot legs and arms within the alt mode. Hiding the hands is especially well done. You also get a near perfect jet (which is a very important part of this list) that is almost on the same level as the Masterpiece 03 alt mode (and in Japan, this mold did get a Masterpiece treatment). Unlike the Masterpiece though, the robot mode doesn't seem at odds with the more realistic jet. It is a perfect representation of the movie look come to life and it makes me appreciate it far more by seeing the intricacies of the model and how a robot could indeed be formed from a real life jet.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys

Honourable Mentions: Of course I won't ignore the Masterpiece Seeker mold. I do prefer how all these toys mentioned accomplish so much with so much less (especially their handling of jet kibble) and at an initially cheaper price point (especially #1, that value was incredible) but I won't deny how beautiful the jet mode is on the masterpiece figures. These toys are also a great example to show the challenge of jet Transformers. If you want a truly perfect alt mode, the robot mode will suffer, as the first batch of Masterpiece seekers revealed. The second had more obvious robot kibble (especially when viewed on the sides) but a much more show accurate robot mode.

Transformers Masterpiece Starscream (MP-11) Gallery

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919928)
Posted by No One on November 5th, 2017 @ 12:29am CDT
I agree with one of your choices only. That is Terradive. The leg wings are great. I like even more that the chest is made of the nosecone pointing upward with the wing-lets. I disagree on your #1 choice because no part of the underside of that craft resembles an F-22. The MP Seeker mold is far superior to this. I wish that ROTF Thrust was on your list because of the sleek underside, built in weapons, and the unique head area. This would have been a far more imposing on screen Starscream. Where is G1 Jetfire?

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... st/1885/1/
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919929)
Posted by Burn on November 5th, 2017 @ 12:45am CDT
I've never understood the obsession some people have with Movie Starscream, sure, the jet mode is nice, but the robot mode is an ugly piece of shit.

MR Optimus Prime wrote:Where is G1 Jetfire?

G1 figures rarely appear in these lists. You'll learn to ignore the anti-G1 rhetoric in time.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919936)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 5th, 2017 @ 1:29am CST
I agree with some of the above comments regarding Breakaway (Thrust) from Hunt for the Decepticons (I think?). He's still one of my favorite jet-formers of late, from the uniqueness of the way the wings fold up and around, and built in weapon.

You may make me get my leader RotF starscream out of storage. I remember thinking he was cool because he was large... but I hated him as "starscream".

It'd be reaching, but what about old G2 cyberjets/skyburners(?) with hooligan and all them. They were simple, but fun.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919940)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on November 5th, 2017 @ 1:53am CST
Yes, hell yes Leader Starscream at number 1 :) Gorgeous in jet and robot modes (sorry guys I far prefer movie Starscream's look over his G1 form which I was never a fan of though did enjoy Classics Starscream for what it was). I also love the Deluxe DotM figure because despite the much smaller size it does a far better job than any of the Voyagers (in fact I've seen a KO of the deluxe scaled up to voyager size I must get)

And RotF Mindwipe is just pure badassery and I love the convincing fan-made bat form which technically makes him a triple changer.

pics from SMOG at TFW2005

Add his awesome lil buddy Skystalker too and he's just one of the best ever TF figures. :) I would disagree about no excess kibble cos his wings do stick out a lot on the shoulders (visible wings just sticking out always bugged me about seekers) but they do help with his general awesome look so eh I'll let it slide.

I do have a fondness for RotF Jetfire despite the rather large undercarriage just because of his immense size in jet mode and his rather unique grandad robot mode.

And G1 Jetfire just cos classic and is still the best G1 toy made.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919942)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 5th, 2017 @ 2:16am CST

Add to that the G1 cartoon Skyfire... was nothing like the Jetfire toy. I'm still not sure to-date we've had a representation of Skyfire in his G1 mode? (I think there was a war-within titanium?).
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919943)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 5th, 2017 @ 2:19am CST
I also have to give the Generations Windblade credit. She's may be pain to balance in robot mode, but she gets big points for a unique jet-mode. I also like how each of her iterative releases (RiD and Titan's Return) play around with that transformation in different ways.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919944)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on November 5th, 2017 @ 2:20am CST
SpikeyTigertron wrote:The one thing that's always bothered me about G1 Jetfire (as much as I love him) is that... it's really not fair comparing him to the rest of the G1 toys (diaclone line). Similar to how Whirl and Roadbuster are from separate lines, that got "brought into" the family.

Maybe Hasbro think it wouldn't sell cos it's just too darn boxy. Even back then I knew why Jetfire/Skyfire couldn't look like the toy but I still thought they could have designed something better than the overly boxy thing they came up with
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919945)
Posted by Ultra Markus on November 5th, 2017 @ 2:52am CST
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

jetfire wouldnt be on the list because hes not based on a real jet
but maybe TF prime Skyquake/Dreadwing could be since they appear to be based off real jets :-?
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919953)
Posted by Burn on November 5th, 2017 @ 3:50am CST
Ultra Markus wrote:jetfire wouldnt be on the list because hes not based on a real jet

Is the list based solely on "real" jets though? It doesn't explicitly say that.

Otherwise, ENERGON STARSCREAM FTW!
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919956)
Posted by WreckerJack on November 5th, 2017 @ 4:42am CST
*Rubs chin*

Hmm... I suddenly need more fliers in my collection.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919959)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 5th, 2017 @ 4:48am CST
:shock: how could I forget about Skyquake and and Dreadwing. Those guys (even their legion commanders) were fun!
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919960)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 5th, 2017 @ 4:50am CST
http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/tra ... yscorchers "skyscorchers" those were the guys I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure some of them are based of "real modern jets".
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919962)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 5th, 2017 @ 5:48am CST
While HFTD Leader Starscream is an incredible toy, the jet have too much of an undercarriage to be #1. I mean, it's way too thick and square under. Unfortunately, same thing for Terradive and Mindwipe. If those qualify, TLK Megatron should have been on the list. Either the voyager or the leader. As well as TLK Nitro.

The good old classic seeker mold should have been #1. Simply because the bot modes are so G1 accurate and the only true undercarriage is just the square chest.

One that should definitely have replace a movie figure on the list is Classic deluxe Cyclonus. Not only the bot mode is perfect with barely any kibbles, the jet is PERFECT with absolutely no robot parts obvious. Even from underneath.

Transformers Henkei Cyclonus Gallery

Transformers Henkei Cyclonus Gallery

Transformers Henkei Cyclonus Gallery

Transformers Henkei Cyclonus Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919964)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on November 5th, 2017 @ 7:34am CST
Cyclonus doesn't turn into a realistic jet. And that's clearly his distinctive chest and legs showing underneath. He basically just stretches out and turns his head to change into robot :P

(and it's not perfect... I hated that damn gap between the legs in alt-mode. :P)
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919971)
Posted by Blozor on November 5th, 2017 @ 8:44am CST
TF: Prime Soundwave should have made the list. The Predator Drone alt-mode to cartoon-accurate robot mode was in league with Prime Starscream, and unlike the F-16, I don't believe a Predator Drone alt-mode had been attempted before.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919973)
Posted by dragons on November 5th, 2017 @ 9:27am CST
Always like classic figures seekers use megatron bomber jet I like good jet mode unless you flip it upside down bot mode was decent for deluxe figure
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919975)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on November 5th, 2017 @ 9:38am CST
My HFTD Starscream ended up breaking at the waist, separating his legs from his torso. Funny enough, his upper torso by itself is able to form a complete (and actually better looking) jet mode.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919976)
Posted by shajaki on November 5th, 2017 @ 9:49am CST
Oooooooookay..... I love your lists Will... but MP-3 (or MP-11) ONLY being an honorable mention? Bro, there are no other jetformers that pull off a better (or more realistic) jet mode than the MP's.

I also think the G1 should be up there too 8-}

Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919977)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on November 5th, 2017 @ 10:08am CST
Saj.
MP-03 don't count because those hips kibbles make the purists go into seizures and foam at they mouth.

>:oP

Seriously, MP-03 SHOULD have been #1.
Re: Top 5 Best Jet Transformers Toys (1919981)
Posted by kurthy on November 5th, 2017 @ 10:30am CST
[quote]They all distinguish themselves in either their accuracy, engineering or design. And most of all, these jets look amazing in robot mode and have a very tight alt mode, which is crucial in a jet transformer (all these are based on real jets too). No crazy undercarriage here. Also, I am using the word "Jet" to encompass sleek modern aircraft which use jet engines. So no cargo planes or Concords.[/quote]

This is an easy list to make because so few jets have ever had good alt modes. If this was expanded to a top 10 you'd be close to including g1 Fireflight. The only change I'd make is to replace the classic seeker mold with the original mp-03 mold. That classics mold is just too thick and blocky in jet mode.

I don't like movie toys in general, but they fit the list better than most. I love the prime mold and classics, but I think the classics mold shouldn't be on this highly specific list.

Ending Soon On eBay

HASBRO TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS VOYAGER IDW AUTOBOT WHIRL ACTION FIGURES KID TOY - Time Remaining: 13 days 15 hours 29 minutes 45 seconds
Takara Transformers Music Label Soundwave MP3 Player Figure (Blaster Black Ver) - Time Remaining: 5 days 21 hours 30 minutes 20 seconds
Transformers The Last Night Rc Autobot Sqweeks Hasbro Remote Control - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 35 minutes 43 seconds
TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS COMBINER WARS LEADER CLASS THUNDERCRACKER HASBRO TOY - Time Remaining: 2 days 2 hours 42 minutes 43 seconds
Takara Tomy Transformers Go G 14 Hunter Bumblebee 4904810487609 Original New - Time Remaining: 2 days 6 hours 47 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers TLK-31 Big Speed Change Dragon Storm TAKARA TOMY Japan New PSL - Time Remaining: 5 days 13 hours 4 minutes 53 seconds
Hasbro Transformers The Last Knight Berserker Optimus Prime Premier Robot Toy - Time Remaining: 5 days 4 hours 11 minutes 51 seconds
Transformers MP-10R CONVOY BAPE APE Red CAMO Collaboration 2015 Optimus Prime FS - Time Remaining: 2 days 19 hours 33 minutes 23 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent