Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys

Saturday, September 21st, 2019 1:28PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 21,205

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys

Optimus Primal was the leader for a new generation, which also happens to be mine. He was as noble as his predecessor and as badass when the time came for it. He also had several toys available and his legacy continues to this day. We will now look back at his best toys.

5. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals Optimal Optimus

I really love the presence of this toy. While I always found the Transformation from beast to bot to be a bit lack luster, this is toy is really reminiscent of an era where it was all about playability. It has four modes for you to have fun with plus missiles, exploding forearms and lights, with some lovely chrome making it all pop. Basically, everything a growing kid needs.

4. Throne of the Primes

Because of how big and bold that original Optimal Optimus was, the Power of the primes version felt quite underwhelming. Sure, it did a lot that the original did and more (due to the evolution gimmick) but it did't have the heft nor presence. It just didn't do enough different to feel worthwhile. Enter throne of the primes which gave us a deco no one expected, but that everyone welcomed. A big disappointment from the first release of this mold was a lack of a gorilla mode for the smaller primal. No black and grey gorilla. Well Throne of the Primes gives us that gorilla but for the bigger bot. This ends up being a super version of Season 1 Primal instead, which is one of those fun things where we are given something we didn't even know we wanted. Plus we get a throne where Primal can be the king of the jungle, resting on the etched faces of contestants that just weren't good enough. Add to that an awesome scepter containing all the remaining primes you need for your Prime Master collection, all in one go. The only thing holding this toy back from the rest is that it's still based on a rather lackluster mold.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys

3. Transformers Legends Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy)/ Beast Wars 10th Anniversary Optimus Primal

This is simply the best version (so far) of that original Optimus primal toy we all know and love. The bot mode is super cool and it's fun to have a synergy between the transformation you see on screen and the way the toy transforms. The best part is most probably the weapon storage with swords, missiles and a skull mace!

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Beast Machines (RID) Air Attack Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy)

This was my number 1 primal for a long time. I just really loved the transformation and how smart it was in terms of recreating the character model from the show. The gauntlets becoming shoulder pads is quite smart and really changes the look of the arms from one mode to the next. Plus you have Gary Chalk voicing the toy and the best electronic gimmicks we have ever gotten with a belly disc blast (I really like just spamming that sound effect) and the backpack that changes sound depending on how you hold the toy.

1. Masterpiece Optimus Primal

For about the same price as the Throne of the Primes mentioned above, you can get a much nicer toy in the form of this Masterpiece Optimus Primal. I remember seeing a non transforming version of his when he was first shown thinking there was no way they could pull this off (and also thinking, "oh right, his defacto stance was on two feet, totally forgot about that"), but they did. While the original toy used a lot of similar parts for both modes, we realize here that a full inversion was necessary to get from a gorilla that is more bottom heavy to a robot which is more top heavy with it's more heroic proportions. And they do exactly that with the transformation. My favourite part is actually the beast hip transformation where the same part acts as a completely different part in robot mode and yet feels like it belongs as much for each mode. It's a genius step. there is a lot of genius at play here inorder to minimize the extraneous kibble to keep both modes as lean as they should be, and aside from a problem with the back of the feet in beast mode, I would call it a success.

Honourable Mention: Transformers Beast Machines Deluxe Optimus Primal

This toy gets an F for screen accuracy and for a long time, that put me off on it. But after experiencing the toy I think it has a lot to offer. I always feared the toy would have an ultra lame transformation where there isn't much in terms of transformation aside from a head swap and making the figure stand differently (which was the case for lots of Cheetor toys of the era). But this is not the case here. The robot mode and techno-organic gorilla have two totally different proportions and even different parts. I really love the shape of the gorilla mode where it has a really elegant curve in the back, making this a cool take on a gorilla mode. A gorilla is already more humanoid than any other beast mode so it's cool to see the distinguishable beast proportions at play. In the end it's no different than the Bat Primal toys out there, meaning a cool take on a character in a form we will never see on screen.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039098)
Posted by Stargrave on September 21st, 2019 @ 1:40pm CDT
YES!! Great idea for a list! So much win. I love this character so much this brings back so many fun memories.

Current personal favorite Primal: PotP Primal. The presentation in the box the familiar colors and all he does, ce magnifique.

I bet if I got the Throne version that’d be my favorite.

Thanks William-James!
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039102)
Posted by Alpha Weltall on September 21st, 2019 @ 4:41pm CDT
The BM Deluxe Primal was the only BM Primal mold I had until I found the Platinum figure at Ross. I always liked the figure for pretty much the same reasons you do. Now I just pretend it's a technorganic version of B'Boom. Mainly because I still don't have the original B'Boom figure and just wanted some kind of representation of him. However, I still don't own Blast Punch or the standard Air Attack Primal so I still actually need a BM Primal...unless you count the kids meal figure.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039113)
Posted by Burn on September 21st, 2019 @ 6:22pm CDT

Some may say Masterpiece is better, hey, I'm okay with that, but to me, Masterpiece by default should always be better and thus in a league of their own. So as far as general affordable releases go, the original gets my vote.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039115)
Posted by Stargrave on September 21st, 2019 @ 7:19pm CDT
Burn wrote:The original Gorilla Optimus Primal toy will always be the best to me. It was a great figure for its time and holds up well compared to more modern toys. It had fun features and accessories and an easy transformation.

I love watching Toy Galaxy and when they do lists they always say Hot Toys are excluded because they’d win every time. I love nerdy fan lists with caveats :lol: I feel the same with MP they’re hard to beat for sure. The original Primal has so many play features it was nuuuuuuts at the time. What a piece of toy art.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039117)
Posted by UltraPrimal on September 21st, 2019 @ 7:29pm CDT
Personally, I think TM1 Primal should be on this list. I'd replace PotP Primal with him, easily. Maybe even put him above the original Ultra class figure. It's such a good toy! How can you not love a gorilla on a hoverboard?!

And while Optimal Optimus might be bigger and cooler and have more modes, fictionally, he kind of suffered because he was so overpowered, the writers had to write around him in every episode onward. It's like they turned him into Superman. How do you write any sort of compelling conflict when you've got Superman to deal with? So the writers had to come up with a new Kryptonite every episode or just ignore the fact that he could steamroll the Predacons in any fight and solve all their problems at any moment.

TM1 Primal felt like he was exactly on par with Megatron at the time, both toy and and fictionally speaking. Which, honestly, I think is how it should be.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039119)
Posted by william-james88 on September 21st, 2019 @ 7:52pm CDT
Stargrave wrote:

The thing is with TFs, MPs would not win eveytime. I preffer being inclusive rather than exclusive. Makes the lists more truthful, honest and comprehensive.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039120)
Posted by Stargrave on September 21st, 2019 @ 8:13pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Stargrave wrote:

Oh hell yeah. We’re Transformers fans we do things differently here ;)^
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039122)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 21st, 2019 @ 9:10pm CDT
I hated the Transmetal/Universe supreme Optimal Optimus toy so much that I ended up selling him and I never bothered with the POTP version.

As for the original BW version, it's good without a doubt. But what does the Legend version have more?

Not having the NP, I cannot have an opinion but at least I have the Platinum "G1 Optimus" colored version of that supreme BM Optimus Primal. I love it in those colors. Make him more unique. Plus it's a solid mold.

I accept my favorite BM deluxe Primal as an honorable mention simply because all that clear plastics aged badly and now, it's very brittle all over. Like a GPS affected toy. Especially with so many key joints being made of that ultra fragile clear plastics. It's too bad that I cannot play with this toy anymore because the gorilla is monstrously SAVAGE and the transformation is interesting.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039124)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 21st, 2019 @ 9:15pm CDT
Stargrave wrote:

I think Masterpieces are still valid for such lists. Because being a MP dosent mean a sure win. Just look at MPM Optimus Prime VS Buster Optimus Prime, or MP-45 Bee VS... anything, really.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039126)
Posted by william-james88 on September 21st, 2019 @ 9:47pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:

A better head.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039127)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 21st, 2019 @ 9:56pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:

A better head.

Transformers Legends Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy) Gallery

Better colors on the beast head you mean?
Eh, I don't think it's a necessity. Honestly, I prefer the original because he's more his own thing. The "cartoon accurate" colors seem out of place on that mold.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039132)
Posted by Stargrave on September 21st, 2019 @ 11:01pm CDT
It's Batman day how can we forget this one? :lol:
Transformers Beast Wars Optimus Primal (Bat) (Convobat) Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039133)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on September 21st, 2019 @ 11:38pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:

A better head.

Transformers Legends Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy) Gallery

Better colors on the beast head you mean?

Wrong one for comparing. The Legends one is a redeco of the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary retool:

Transformers Beast Wars Reborn Optimus Primal (Convoy) (Reissue) Gallery

Better colors? Maybe. Better heads? Yup. ;)

Stargrave wrote:It's Batman day how can we forget this one? :lol:
Transformers Beast Wars Optimus Primal (Bat) (Convobat) Gallery

I actually saw the red one, loose and incomplete, either at a con or at an online store many years ago. Didn't have his purple gator buddy sadly, I did see him in fact, I think he was at the other spot. Either way, didn't snatch them up. Should I have? Maybe. :-?

My tally of Primal figures is meager. Furthermore, all but one are redecos:

1) Universe 2003 Optimus Primal
2) Cybertron Jungle Planet Optimus Prime
3) Beast Machines Deluxe Class Optimus Primal
4) Year of the Monkey Optimus Primal

Just one short for a proper list :lol:
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039135)
Posted by Flashwave on September 22nd, 2019 @ 1:12am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039141)
Posted by Black Hat on September 22nd, 2019 @ 5:12am CDT
Nice list as always! I do want that Throne of the Primes once I've moved (mainly due to the presence of the Prime Masters, I am a sucker for tiny robot men). And damn I'd forgotten how cool the OG OpOP looked, the chrome pops so nicely.

I'll agree on BM Deluxe Primal. He looks really freaky but I kinda like that, reminds me of some kind of monstrous Cybertronian ape more than the Boss Monkey. And the colour work is really neat.

Would the Transmetal Primal be worth a mention? I think he looks really neat, but having never handled him I don't know if he has any major structural issues.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039142)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 22nd, 2019 @ 5:18am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Wrong one for comparing. The Legends one is a redeco of the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary retool

Aaaaaahhhhhhh. Yup, my own "better one" WAS the actual "better one".
Definitely an improvement compared to the "G1" Beast Wars original.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039145)
Posted by DarkRushBeat on September 22nd, 2019 @ 6:16am CDT
Aww, no Perfect Effect Beast Gorira on this list?
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039151)
Posted by Stargrave on September 22nd, 2019 @ 9:16am CDT
Flashwave wrote:You know, it really shouldbt count being a recycled retool, byt I gotta give a shout out to Botcon 2006 Optimus Primal from Cybertron Crumplezone. They really did a good job of picking a mold that captured a lot of the important Primal elements, monkey lime proportions, and the jetpack/shoulder cannons to be chief amongst those, but even how the cockpit joins the shoulders in vehicle mode is somewhat remininscent of how the chest closes up arounf the shoulders to form the ape beast mode.

Hella good call! I never got that set but maaaaan, did I ever LOVE the idea of the BW cast in their Cybertronian modes and I thought that Primal was so genius I totally dug what they did there.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039152)
Posted by Stargrave on September 22nd, 2019 @ 9:19am CDT
Black Hat wrote:Nice list as always! I do want that Throne of the Primes once I've moved (mainly due to the presence of the Prime Masters, I am a sucker for tiny robot men).

Totally Black Hat. How could they deprive us of a complete Cybertronian pantheon?!? :lol:

I didn't get Predaking either and man, I wanted all those Primes. They made it too far out of my price range and that's fine but gosh darn it did I ever want my Primes! I loved the minifig gimmick totally brought me back to Micronauts and Micronaut-type toys from the yesteryear.
Re: Top 5 Best Optimus Primal Transformers Toys (2039153)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on September 22nd, 2019 @ 9:25am CDT
So that we have an idea:

Transformers BotCon Exclusives Optimus Primal Gallery

Transformers BotCon Exclusives Optimus Primal Gallery

Transformers BotCon Exclusives Optimus Primal Gallery

Transformers BotCon Exclusives Optimus Primal Gallery

I must say, damn is this a SEXY beast! I love the Cybertron Crumplezone mold and here, Optimus Primal wear it like a champ!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Sawback" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #232 - NYCC 2019
"NYCC 2019"
Posted: Sunday, October 6th, 2019

Buy "BRAND NEW TRANSFORMERS NEMESIS PRIME POWER OF THE PRIMES AMAZON EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Decepticon Stinger Plush Stuffed Figure 16" AR175" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Adventure Steeljaw (Robots in Disguise)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 Age of Extinction Legends Legion Strafe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 4 Generations AOE Voyager DINOBOT SLOG " on EBAY
Buy "NEW Takara Tomy Hasbro TRANSFORMERS Bumblebee Movie Studio Series Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age Of Extinction AD26 Lockdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Amazon Exclusive Powerdasher Aragon ONLY" on EBAY