Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys

Friday, February 9th, 2018 10:44PM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 23,884

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. This week, I am joined by Cobotron. These are our opinions so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys

From day one, Ultra Magnus toys were always closely related to Optimus Prime toys, with his first toy being a redeco with a different trailer which turned into a powersuit giving him a totally different look from Prime. Toy designs and ideas evolved from this giving a wide variety to Ultra Magnus toys where some are Prime redecos, others more extensive retools and others being fully original. We will explore the rich history of this autobot's toys by looking at the best ones to have come out so far.

5. Transformers Generation One Ultra Magnus

This is the grand pappy of all Ultra Magnus toys and probably the most important Ultra Magnus toy out there. Unlike even the Masterpiece toy, this toy includes an extra level of playability by having the trailer become the armour for the transforming cab. This gave everyone the option to form their own stories and ideas about this character. Is he a white optimus with armour? Or is the that simply the transformation process for his one and only form being that big armoured fellow? It was and still is ultimately up to you to choose. This legitimizes every future attempt at having Ultra Magnus be simultaneously a redeco/retool of Optimus Prime as well as his own mold. - william-james88

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Ultra Magnus / Transformers Adventures Ultra Magnus

Speaking of being an offshoot of Optimus, this is by far the best version of that (well, maybe tied with the commander class version which is a gorgeous G1 homage and a perfect retool). So much love went into this retool, making him look just two smokestacks away from his show model, and making him own this mold even more so than Optimus. It almost feels like this is who the mold was made for all along especially when comparing to the show models.The added shoulder cannons work great and let you position them as you wish, giving you extra fire power in a sweet G1 homage (while the earlier PRID Magnus only gave you one shoulder cannon, why?!). You even get a nice hammer and a pair of wings, just for added playability. While simply having Ultra Magnus be a redeco/retool of Prime always felt a bit lazy, this is one instance shows us how that can sometimes work, and work wonders. - william-james88

3. Transformers Animated Ultra Magnus

This is THE titular leader class Ultra Magnus toy. This is the best Ultra Magnus toy from the golden age of Transformers toys where it seemed no expenses were spared. This toy is beefy, the plastic is solid, the transformation is complex yet intuitive, he has a bunch of pop out weapon gimmicks, none of which are intrusive, along with electronics. This toy happens to also be a perfect rendition of the cartoon model which was a fresh new take on the character where he, and not Optimus, was the leader of the Autobots. You can feel that magnitude in your hands as you play with this toy or when you see him on your shelf. All of the top three toys on this list are amazing and the only reason why this toy is not higher is simply because his alt mode is a little underwhelming, especially in the back area, and his hip ratchets are quite restrictive. - william-james88

2. Transformers Masterpiece MP 22 Ultra Magnus

Like all Masterpiece figures, 22 is a work of art. On heft alone this figure is awe inspiring. While I was always a fan of the idea that Ultra Magnus was a smaller bot in a suit of armor, I can't deny that the feat of engineering it took to get the character to be all-in-one is amazing. For me, the fact that I made it through his intense transformation without instructions was a huge relief. I can't say that for every Masterpiece.That meant I could enjoy this highly detailed representation of one of my favorite characters without the burden or fear of being bogged down by the process. It's involved, but it's intuitive. Which equals fun.
While I would have prefered a little more painted/tampoed detail and color, he is till an amazing design. In robot mode he retains all the design elements I loved about the original, but is presented (obviously) in a much more contemporary package. 22 has great articulation for the hoops he has to jump through to transform. He has that "mighty leader" posture no matter how you pose him. And he is a huge and intimidating presence on your shelf.
The carrier mode is perfection. Everything you would want it to be. It's hard to believe it's NOT a white MP-10 pulling that trailer, and of course it can fit any of the Autobot cars. The Fun-O-Meter shoots straight through the roof when you have the ability to roll out an entire team on some perilous adventure all contained in the mighty Magnus in MP scope and scale! - Cobotron

1. Transformers Generations Combiner Wars / Legends Leader Ultra Magnus

An overly involved puzzle of a transformation is one kind of fun, but it can get in the way of another kind of fun. When I'm imagining my way through an intense adventure situation on my coffee table, I can't be bothered with overly difficult transformations. I lose steam. The adventure losses momentum. And that's why Combiner Wars Leader Ultra Magnus beats his Masterpiece counterpart out of 1st place. Playability!
While his transformation is really kind of a truncated version of the MP's, it's simplified enough to be fast and efficient. With enough twists and turns to be fun and you get really close to the MP version, but for a fraction of the cost of the MP.
Another merit is his aesthetic design. He sports a fresh modern updated design in both modes that pulls from some great sources, but maintains his iconic stature. I was absolutely thrilled with the inclusion of the hammer. For me, with this figure,it declares that that is Magnus's weapon now and it's here to stay. And with Minimus Ambus we still get the smaller bot in a suit of armor mythos we expect from the character.
In a world of wonky scale his size class puts his robot mode right in the sweet spot among Voyagers and Deluxes. He's got good articulation where he needs it, and is a joy to pose.
Would I have prefered that his carrier mode could tote Deluxe class cars? Sure, but I'll take what I can get. He can hold a fare amount of Legends class figures and he looks good doing it.
When I walk into my collection and get that Magnus hankering, he is now the one I reach for first. He is fun to transform, fun to play with, and looks great. In the race for best Ultra Magnus figure, he is a hard bot to beat. - Cobotron

Honourable Mention:

Transformers Subscription Service Ultra Mammoth Gallery

Now I know William James likes to keep the lists to main line releases, and I agree. It's the broadest stroke and allows the lists and the conversation to reach the largest audience. But I would be remiss if, on a list of possibly my 2nd favorite heroic Autobot character of all time, we didn't include one of my most favorite versions. I talked it over with Will, and he said he'd let it slide. This one time.
I'm honestly not a huge fan of a lot of the TFCC toys, but I think Ultra Mammoth is one of the smartest repaints they ever did. Before I ever saw the Beast Wars cartoon, I assumed that Beast Wars was just a new iteration on a classic theme, and that the Transformers had rescanned their alt modes to fit some new scenario. I like where the cartoon took us, but I still revert to my original interpretation for fun and play sometimes. When I saw Ultra Mammoth I think I fell over. I had to add him to my Beast Wars collection. The mold fits the character really well. Those tuskes as a new take on Magnus's iconic shoulder pylons is just brilliant. And instead of just painting this Prime white, they went the extra mile and designed his color scheme to emulate Magnus's complete form. He's the appropriate size, and an appropriately powerful beast to use as this large and in charge character for the Beast Wars world. -Cobotron

Transformers Subscription Service Ultra Mammoth Gallery

Transformers Subscription Service Ultra Mammoth Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937280)
Posted by Quantum Surge on February 9th, 2018 @ 11:07pm CST
I'm tied with the Animated Leader Magnus and the CW versions. Each have their pros and cons, but I prefer both over the MP version; that one looks like a shampoo bottle compared to the older MPs.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937284)
Posted by Ultra Markus on February 9th, 2018 @ 11:35pm CST
its hard to beat those top 3
the masterpiece i thought since its a dead on and very accurate representation would have been no 1
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937291)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 10th, 2018 @ 12:57am CST
I would have stuck with God Magnus over Ultra Mammoth. Otherwise, the actual list is good. Personally, I don't consider MP figures toys, so my list is

5. God Magnus
4. Titanium Ultra Magnus
3. Prime Ultra Magnus
2. Animated leader Ultra Magnus
1. Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus

Honorable mention: MP-22 Ultra Magnus. Only because he's not a "toy." Otherwise, he'd be 2nd on the list, bumping everyone behind him down a spot.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937295)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 10th, 2018 @ 1:46am CST
Having about every single Magnusses, I can agree with that list. However, I cannot put the CW leader at #1. Because there is just NO #1 spot. In fact, I just cannot put a # on any of these. So my list remain the same as yours but become "in no particular order". I love them all. All have their faults, all have their qualities. No one is worst, no one is best.

That tell a lot about how amazing all of them are.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937296)
Posted by Bronzewolf on February 10th, 2018 @ 3:53am CST
Don’t Deluxe cars fit in CW Magnus? I swear I've done that before. TR Chromedome, CW Mirage...Heck, I know I've thrown MPs in there a couple times. Great list, though! I was surprised MP wasn't #1 but, after reading, I totally agree with your reasoning. Perfect choices!
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937298)
Posted by ShockBlade501 on February 10th, 2018 @ 4:07am CST
Don't know why you mention the inability to put deluxe cars in the trailer as one of combiner wars Magnus's flaws. Works fine for me. <!-- ia0 -->1fe067bb-3b7f-4550-a71e-cbb83544baae.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937300)
Posted by Randomhero on February 10th, 2018 @ 4:52am CST
ShockBlade501 wrote:Don't know why you mention the inability to put deluxe cars in the trailer as one of combiner wars Magnus's flaws. Works fine for me. [attachment=0]1fe067bb-3b7f-4550-a71e-cbb83544baae.jpg[/attachment]

Your very picture is a shining example of what he means. Arcee is hanging off the back, kup looks like he’s forced in there and looks like he’s being crushed in there and that hotrods wheels are hanging off the side.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it intended? Nooooo
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937301)
Posted by Rysquad on February 10th, 2018 @ 5:03am CST
Comic fiction be damned but I still wish that Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus was a Titans Return Ultra Magnus with Minimus Ambus being a Titan Master. That would have allowed for a Powermaster Optimus Prime to maybe use a Prime Master gimmick instead.

I kinda loved all of the Prime Ultra Magnus toys. But I agree with the top 5 in the order presented.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937302)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on February 10th, 2018 @ 5:16am CST
With this list, I agree 100%! Great job!
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937304)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on February 10th, 2018 @ 5:42am CST
Randomhero wrote:

Is it possible? Yes. Is it intended? Nooooo

Legends class fit more comfortably if you really want to load him up.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937308)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 10th, 2018 @ 6:52am CST

Just look at your picture again. THE SCALE. The truck cab look like a freaking shopping cart to the cars. That's why legends cars would work way better.

------------

I put up the best Magnuses on display in by living room, the rest being in another room. The top five is here in the living room, but I added a sixth. FOC Ultra Magnus. Often Magnus is a repaint of Optimus. But the mold work so well for Magnus that I think this time, it was the other way around.

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Ultra Magnus Gallery

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Ultra Magnus Gallery

EDIT:

Come on Seibertron. You're supposed to leave Magnus's smokestacks UP in bot mode:

Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937309)
Posted by blackeyedprime on February 10th, 2018 @ 6:59am CST
1.G1 hands down No.1, The deluxe cars on the CW version look awful. the diaclone advert with 10 'delta magnus' rolling all the cars into battle looks amazing and a fine showcase of how good the G1 ultra magnus is. Complete Parts storage, play value -even the little flying jet chest piece always made me want little guys to sit him, I think I tried using Zoid pilots as a kid not knowing what diaclone was.

2.As much as I like the other Ultras, it's hard to pick any more with them all having some kind of flaw or lacking the magnus in small robot mode/big robot mode. Guess my second spot would be the original masterpiece version with the cardboard trailer (back when masterpieces were master pieces compared to the downsized 'high grade' Mp10). It gets the robot/truck mode right and there was always hope for a trailer or armor at the time.

3.Probably the Armada deluxe, the paint app just works well with it. Eye catching, looks like a soldier (sadly there wasnt much third party stuff at the time it was released, would have liked to see a trailer/armor for it. Ultra should always be able to be bigger than Optimus and with out that ability at least it is still a good looking robot/alt.

4.RID Ultra Magnus for it's play value as much as I disliked the transformation. Being a car carrying transporter that can carry cars is kind of important. Probably the best vehicle mode besides the second masterpiece since the G1 toy but something just feels lacking, robot mode feels more god bomber than magnus to me.

5.Second Masterpiece felt a bit of a let down, I'd passed on third party efforts with the lack of it's own robot mode. So when Takara went and did the same thing it was even more of a let down and Citizen stack who I'd previously disregarded got purchased. I've not had the money or justification to pick up the Takara version yet but some how it always feels like I don't have a MP ultra Magnus.
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937313)
Posted by kriksix on February 10th, 2018 @ 7:40am CST
I way prefer Magnus' own unique mold for TF:Prime over the one shared with Optimus..

Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937320)
Posted by Emerje on February 10th, 2018 @ 8:29am CST
I'm fine with this list, I think it's hard to go wrong with Ultra Magnus, even if it just a naked white Optimus. We've been fortunate to get a lot of good ones. As long as the terrible Titanium figure isn't on the list I'm good.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937329)
Posted by Black Hat on February 10th, 2018 @ 11:03am CST
Good list! Animated Ultra Magnus is a gorgeous looking figure in particular. But then Animated was, as you say, a golden age of toys. I'm a bit sad at the lack of mention of RID Ultra Magnus, but then again I'm biased because he was a childhood favourite. He doesn't hold up so well nowadays with his weird legs and finicky transformation (though that headsculpt is to die for IMO).
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937331)
Posted by ScottyP on February 10th, 2018 @ 11:08am CST
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937333)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 10th, 2018 @ 11:22am CST
ScottyP wrote:The MP is the best one by several country miles and it's not even close. I say this also really loving the CW mold, but when the two are put side by side it's really not even close. Outside of that, this is a good list! No Titanium version? ;)

I own the Titanium and it quite nice for what it is. It dosent deseverves to be on the list, but anyone coming accross him for a reasonable price, they should buy him.

Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937338)
Posted by Cobotron on February 10th, 2018 @ 12:01pm CST
Yeah! Will. Why did you take God Magnus out of honorable mention? Just made the list too long? I nominate him to be back in. I love that toy.

Another Honorable Mention for me is this Cyberverse Commander Class figure.

Transformers Prime: Cyberverse Ultra Magnus Gallery
Not sure why I like him so much. I just really like the scale, and he has great articulation for a little guy. Also, translucent parts and weapon!

I just think this works better. I'm not a stickler for scale, but this just makes more sense to me.

ShockBlade501 wrote: Works fine for me.
But this statement is what's most important to me. ;)^

@Kanrabat - I DO like that FoC Magnus. I like that mold better for UM than for Prime. But we all know why he didn't make the list. Will hates the FoC line with all his might! :lol:

@Will - Thanks for including me and my opinions on this list. It was fun to collaborate!

Edit:

For me personally, play is most important. While I love MP Magnus, and he would make a top 5 list of MPs for me. CW is more approachable, more accessible, and easier and more fun to just play with. (IMO :D )
Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937340)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 10th, 2018 @ 12:21pm CST
Cobotron wrote:

I too, preffer more simple and easier transformations. Even though the MPM and ROTF lines gave wonderful looking bots, I always hate the overlong and overcomplicated transformations.

It's for the same reason that I preffer to play with my good old G1 Optimus rather than MP-10.

Oh, and have my glorious living room UM display:

Re: Top 5 Best Ultra Magnus Transformers Toys (1937341)
Posted by Cobotron on February 10th, 2018 @ 12:31pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:I found MP Magnus to be surprisingly easy to transform... for a MP figure, that is.
Me too! I even mentioned that in the list. ;)^
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018