Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold!

Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold!

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2007 1:58am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Bed Bugs   Views: 12,156

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Transformers has blown away the competition this year with the highest number of DVD's sold for any movie during the first week of release! Even more surprising, over half copies were sold on the first day!

Currently, Transformers holds the 2007 record for:
Most DVD's sold overall for the first week - 8.3 Million
Most DVD's sold on release date - 4.5 Million
Most HD-DVD's sold on release date - 100,000
Most HD-DVD's sold overall for the first week - 190,000

Credit(s): Hollywood Reporter

Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417082)
Posted by darkqueen01 on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:24am CDT
Yeah!!! I knew I got up early on Tuesday for a reason!
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417087)
Posted by Collector Maximus on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:30am CDT
Pretty cool! I was waiting for someone to post the results.
I got mine at Wal Mart, a little after Midnight, on the first day of release.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417116)
Posted by Cascadia on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:53am CDT
4.5 million on the first DAY. Over 8 million in the first week
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417119)
Posted by Autobot032 on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:55am CDT
I know there's more to it, but if you just go with a roundabout figure...

The DVD sales (around the $20.00 mark) $166,000,000.00
The HD-DVD sales (around the $30.00 mark) $5,700,000.00

A grand total of $171700000.00

Which would bring the overall total to being a little over $871700000.00

We're so close to the billion mark, it's not funny. Plus it hasn't even been released in all of the world markets yet. Once those figures come in, we could easily go over a billion here.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417122)
Posted by thehmphone on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:55am CDT
GO TRANSFORMERS! GO!!!
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417126)
Posted by Cascadia on October 23rd, 2007 @ 2:59am CDT
The DVD is still selling like hot cakes in my area.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417130)
Posted by SnipeShade on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:02am CDT
:APPLAUSE: And I contributed to that monster of a statistic. YEY! I'm amazed that Im actually part of a fandom of something that is that popular. :HALUC:

But yea, I can believe those numbers. When I go to stores, and I check the transformer dvd sections (or any other tf inhabited section) it looks like a geeky tornado came thru and raped the shelves. xD
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417140)
Posted by TheKnightShift on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:13am CDT
This bodes very well for the box-office potential of Transformers 2.

Look at how well Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest did over its predecessor. No doubt because a lot of folks who didn't see the first Pirates movie in the theaters but instead waited to catch it on DVD, wanted to see the second one during its initial theatrical run. Dead Man's Chest wound up having one of the biggest opening weekends in Hollywood history.

I've a cousin who just saw Transformers for the first time this past weekend. His sister got married on Saturday and she gave his son - who was the ringbearer - a copy of the Transformers DVD as a gift at the rehearsal dinner. Well after the wedding my cousin watched it and was blown away. He seriously can't wait to see the sequel when it comes out in theaters.

Don't be surprised if Transformers 2 winds up making the top 10 all-time earning movies, in large part because of the DVD :D
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417142)
Posted by Leonardo on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:15am CDT
How much of this figure is due to the fact that there are numerous different versions?
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417146)
Posted by Bed Bugs on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:20am CDT
That's what I am wondering. I know for a fact that several other members bought multiple copies (and I know another guy in WI who has bought every version himself to get all the exclusives).
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417150)
Posted by Deceptiwho? on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:23am CDT
Thats how the Transfans get down!! Picture us rollin!! ;)^
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417169)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on October 23rd, 2007 @ 3:56am CDT
I'm glad I didn't wait to get into wal-mart the next day... :)
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417197)
Posted by Nemesis Cyberplex on October 23rd, 2007 @ 4:28am CDT
Yay...now 8 million people will know Brawl as his code name, where as if they finally decide to make a construction vehicle combiner in a sequel, he's either going to be Brawl resurrected, or will not be called Devastator.

Yeah, that'd be almost like having to call Nightcrawler in X2 something else because they had already used the name to replace Shadowcat's name. 'Cause the director thought it was cooler....
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417277)
Posted by opjet on October 23rd, 2007 @ 5:46am CDT
more stress for tf2 writers don't
fuck tf2 up
we want a good no better follow up
take ya time plotting and planning the next movie
anybody agree with me
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417299)
Posted by GetterDragun on October 23rd, 2007 @ 6:16am CDT
My copy says Devestator and not Brawl.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417304)
Posted by Anonymous on October 23rd, 2007 @ 6:22am CDT
Although since none of the other summer blockbusters have been released yet, this number is relatively meaningless.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417435)
Posted by Kayevcee on October 23rd, 2007 @ 8:05am CDT
I wish I had enough money to call $170,000,000 meaningless ;)

-Nick
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417458)
Posted by dragons on October 23rd, 2007 @ 8:29am CDT
glad i decided to go out and get the dvdv on opening day transformers tin cases are all sold out where i live but i find that to be odd i dont have alot of transformer fans here as you guys over there do.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417459)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on October 23rd, 2007 @ 8:30am CDT
I guess I don't understand why this DVD was released so soon; Spider-Man 3 came out almost 2 months prior, as did Pirates, and Transformers comes FIRST??? I wonder who got shot or fired or lost a bet(or something similar) in the biz to make this happen. Either way, I've been watching MY copy of Transformers EVERY DAY since I got it. My MOM even wants the Transforming case for herself! I'll probably buy a couple more versions of the DVD; I have no less thn 5 different versions of the Star Wars Trilogy, this is the same thing. The more money this movie franchise makes, the better for all of us. So I'll support it, no problem.

Let us enjoy the ride, my friends.
Re: Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million copies sold! (417472)
Posted by guarayakha on October 23rd, 2007 @ 8:50am CDT
Great, but that means another bunch more weird exclusives for TF2 DVD/HDDVD the next time around.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-47 Kickback & Double Dealer" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-38 Laserbeak & Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-37 Ravage & Bullhorn" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-28 Rewind & Nightbeat" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus and Titans Return Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY