Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark

Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark

Monday, January 22nd, 2018 3:06am CST

Category: Game News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 17,008

We reported not long ago on the plans by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast to create and release a trading card game of the Transformers, much like the classic and Hasbro big seller Magic: The Gathering. We now have confirmation of those plans still moving ahead, with the US Patent and Trademark Office showing a filed case for 'Transformers' in the category 'Card games, trading card games, playing cards and accessories for use therewith'.

Take a look for yourselves below, and follow the link above for more, as we take another look at some of the artwork initially provided when the story broke!

Serial Number: 87758803
Word Mark: TRANSFORMERS
Status: 630 – New Application – Record Initialized Not Assigned To Examiner
Status Date: 2018-01-20
Goods and Services: Card games, trading card games, playing cards and accessories for use therewith
Party Name: Hasbro, Inc.
Party Type: 10 – Original Applicant

Transformers News: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark

Transformers News: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark

Credit(s): USPTO

Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1932926)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 22nd, 2018 @ 5:29am CST
I already couldn't sleep and now I am excited. Look what you did!
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1932933)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on January 22nd, 2018 @ 6:08am CST
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1932940)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 22nd, 2018 @ 7:14am CST
Epsilon Delta wrote:I hope they package alt-art cards in the main toyline. They can go back to cutting out the "collector's card with stats" on the box and add a TCG card in there. Maybe even add TCG cards in the comics.

That would be the route to take to help cross sell. Though for all of this to work, they need the card game to be decent.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1932951)
Posted by dragons on January 22nd, 2018 @ 8:24am CST
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1932966)
Posted by Kyleor on January 22nd, 2018 @ 9:30am CST

Hopefully the card game will be cool/fun, but I'd 100% rather see a Heroclix/Mechwarrior: Dark Age type collectable figure based game come out though.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933012)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 22nd, 2018 @ 12:22pm CST
Kyleor wrote:Fingers crossed this new game doesn't suffer any of the same card manufacturing quality/quality control issues and community issues currently affecting Magic the Gathering.

It did have one before didn't it? Around the time of Energon/Cybertron I believe. I don't know how a miniature game would work as far as alt modes would go, as being a core component of the franchise, it would need to be incorporated better
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933016)
Posted by Chibi Starscream on January 22nd, 2018 @ 12:45pm CST
dragons wrote:As excited I am for transformers I don’t play trading card games any more I don’t see this lasting as long as Pokémon and yugioh

You never know...I never thought Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! would stay relevant either, but here we are in 2018 and the cards are still being produced, enjoyed by many fans and continue to catch on to new generations of players. I myself have collected and played both of these games. I still have several tins snd decks of Yu-Gi-Oh! A Transformers TCG sounds fun and I'd love to see it. I think it has a lot of potential, especially if they can release different expansions and such that can appeal to fans of G1- through the current gen, with a variety of artwork and cool and interesting power up cards, etc.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933025)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on January 22nd, 2018 @ 1:27pm CST
I think the Final Fantasy TCG would be a good model. They have cards broken up by series, job, element, and character. Transformers has a lot of the same pieces. It also makes me wonder how the localization will be (whether here or over seas). Will they use the Japanese continuity or American continuity (this matters for such things as Optimus being different from Convoy or Unicron Trilogy)? Or are the characters going to be amalagrams and pretty much in their own continuity? So many questions.

Also, even if it doesn't do as well as a TCG, it can become a "collector TCG" with it's established base. That's one of the reasons Pokemon lasted so long. We collected the cards way more than playing the actual game. It could even have an energy element (Energon). As a franchise, Transformers is really comparable. Give me good art, shiny cards, and a simple fun game, and I'll be happy.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933058)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 22nd, 2018 @ 3:06pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:

I'd agree. Get people hooked and make em buy more toys/books. The nostalgia of buying Shonen Jump to get promo cards is real. I miss yugioh before it went berzerk.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933095)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on January 22nd, 2018 @ 4:40pm CST
WreckerJack wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:

I was always on the collector's side of Yugioh. One thing Yugioh does well is promo cards in everything. Movie? Promos. Video game? Promos. Magazines? Promos. With Transformers you have a lot of opportunities with toys, movies, videogames, comics, DVDs, and then of course the actual card packs. Promoting the game and awareness of it should be really easy if they went that route. But why do I feel that they will keep it separate?
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933099)
Posted by Chibi Starscream on January 22nd, 2018 @ 4:44pm CST
Epsilon Delta wrote:
WreckerJack wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:

One reason might be because Wizards doesn't tend to promote their merchandise like that. Konami owns Yu-Gi-Oh!
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933210)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 23rd, 2018 @ 4:45am CST
They've done it a little in the past with the miniseries that came out in comic form (which if memory serves, were published by IDW) I can't remember if the old game from the playstation one era came with promos or not...
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933287)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 23rd, 2018 @ 5:03pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:

Searching up "Transformers Card Game" brings up a lot of different things. I have noticed some battle card games (they are not collectable and look more like UNO style card games), what looks to be a TCG game linked with the 4th movie (Which apparently flopped because I did not know the cards existed.)

Lastly I found this Japanese Transformers game and it looks a heck of a lot like Yugioh. https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Scr ... B004LVOW9O

Now that Kyleor mentions it, that does seem worrysome. I have taken a break from Magic because the print quality is utter crap right now. I went to a pre-release for Amonkhet a few months back and within the hour the cards were curling. Some of the players that were under a skylight had to keep moving their cards into the shade because the sun would curl them in under 30 minutes. Some of the cards were all ready curled in the packs, and the ones that were fine curl without sleeves within the day if they aren't sleeved. I don't want to purchase any cards that will "self destruct".
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933297)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 23rd, 2018 @ 5:39pm CST
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1933302)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 23rd, 2018 @ 6:01pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I haven't played magic for a good couple of years now so it's a bit disappointing to hear that the quality has gone down hill.

This video explains the print quality issues I am concerned about better than I can. I don't wanna sound like I am complaining or get everyone worried. I think its best for people to see with their own eyes what the issues are rather than let them imagine the absolute worst. Some of the cards wind up being fine and other batches end up being flimsy and curled.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1935255)
Posted by -Soundwave- on February 1st, 2018 @ 11:53am CST
I'm up for this. Been a long time since I've played a good TCG.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1956265)
Posted by WreckerJack on April 25th, 2018 @ 10:28pm CDT
We reported a few months ago that Hasbro has been working with Wizards to create a Transformers Trading Card Game. In that story we showed you some of the artwork and speculated on the boards about what the game could be like. Today one of our readers sent in a link showing us an Autobot starter deck was available for pre-order on Total Cards. We hope that there will also be a Decepticon starter deck, so keep an optic out for it.

After some research we now know that booster packs (each contains 1 oversized Transformers card plus 7 combat cards) and boxes ( contains 30 booster packs) are also on pre order. Please have a look below to see the current items and their descriptions. Their release date is listed as September 21st 2018.

Autobot Starter Deck

Transformers Trading Card Game is the latest tabletop game from Wizards of the Coast – the creators of Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. Combining stunning Transformers art with fun, fast and strategic gameplay, this is the perfect entry into TCGs for gamers young and old.

New players are recommended to start with the Autobots Starter Set. This out-of-the-box 2-player experience comes with 4 oversized, foil Transformers cards and a 40-card combat deck. Players can then augment their deck with Booster Packs featuring 1 oversized, foil Transformers card and 7 combat deck cards.

Contains 4 oversized premium Transformers cards, 1 40-card deck.

Booster Box

Contains 30 boosters. 1 booster contains 1 oversized Transformers card, 7 combat deck cards.

Booster Pack

1 booster contains 1 oversized Transformers card, 7 combat deck cards.
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1956302)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 26th, 2018 @ 5:00am CDT
Any word yet on the mechanics for the game yet? And why do I find the part of oversized cards troubling :-?
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1956304)
Posted by dragons on April 26th, 2018 @ 6:40am CDT
I can see mostly fans of transformers that go to these web sites will buy these people who play card games I don’t see sales going over well with them
Re: Hasbro Files for Transformers Trading Card Game Trademark (1956311)
Posted by Dragonslayer on April 26th, 2018 @ 8:06am CDT
Well, I guess I’ll be checking this out from a collector’s point of view, and I am curious about gameplay as well. My wife and I started playing and collecting Magic: The Gathering a couple of years ago so we enjoy playing games together. Depending on how hard this is to play we may try this out to see if we’ll add it to our list of games.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Autobots Inter Ops BLASTER PERCEPTOR Christmas Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition UNICRON Action Figure Christmas Kid Gift Toy Hot" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 3A / THREEZERO Bumblebee Movie DLX Nemesis Prime Pulse Limited MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1/24 Metals Transformers Movie Vehicle Crosshairs Jada Toys ships/box/cardboard/" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop Nemesis Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "HERO MASHERS TRANSFORMERS - AUTO BOT RODIMUS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power Of The Primes Insecticon SKRAPNEL - SHRAPNEL" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Steeljaw Age of Extinction Robots in Disguise One-Step; AOE, 1-Step" on EBAY