Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers

Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers

Thursday, September 27th, 2007 7:44am CDT

Category: Digital Media News
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 19,643

One of the more popular TV Shows of the 80's is set to make its return to the small screen. NBC has announced it plans on bringing back the Knight Rider series. The series revolved around a high-tech computerized car known as K.I.T.T. (originally voiced by William Daniels) and its driver Michael Knight (originally played by David Hasselhoff).

Variety reports that the inspiration for bringing back the series to TV was brought on by the Michael Bay Transformers movie.

"Success of "Transformers" had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that smallscreen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes".

"There's also huge potential for advertiser integration. General Motors was all over "Transformers," and it's easy to see NBC striking a rich deal with a single automaker to serve as the exclusive auto brand for the new "Knight." It's understood preliminary talks have already begun".

Credit(s): www.variety.com

Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366297)
Posted by Dark Ops on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:48am CDT
Shape shifting? As long as it's not Viper, I'm all for it!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366302)
Posted by Leonardo on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:51am CDT
Good grief!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366303)
Posted by Flint on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:51am CDT
Sweet! I hope the Hoff has a part in this.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366304)
Posted by Archanubis on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:51am CDT
Didn't UPN already try this, with dismal results?
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366307)
Posted by DorkimusPrime on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:53am CDT
Flint wrote:Sweet! I hope the Hoff has a part in this.

Me too, but I don't want NBC to Hassle the Hoff too much.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366327)
Posted by TheKnightShift on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:04am CDT

NO MORE REMAKES!!!

Can't this industry produce something original?!?

What next: a re-hash of "The A-Team" with Tyrese Gibson as B.A. Baracus and Terry O'Quinn as Hannibal?
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366329)
Posted by Ravage XK on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:06am CDT
Shape shift? When did KITT ever shape shift? Unless you mean the drop top or the mind numbingly daft super pursuit mode where bits of the car stuck out for no real reason.

Knightrider 2000 was pretty bad ( woman gets one of KITT's chips installed in her noggin, please ) and Team Knightrider reminds me of the American dub of Galaxy Force with all the cars having a stupid accent.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366333)
Posted by Leonardo on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:09am CDT
Did you ever see Knight Rider 2010? That didn't even have a car until the last half hour - and it didn't even talk!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366350)
Posted by crazyfists on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:26am CDT
TheKnightShift makes a good point, no more remakes!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366355)
Posted by Scaleface on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:26am CDT
Well, KITT had that "Super Pursuit" mode in the last season. Still, I hope it's a SEQUAL, not a REMAKE. Too many remakes slapping the face of their old series. I want to see a series where they make a new car, and no I don't mean Knight Rider 2000!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366359)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:30am CDT
How many times have they tried this and failed?

There was that Knight Rider team show with the mortorcyle. The Knight Rider future show with the rusted out homemade car with KITT being the guys girlfriend stuck in a crystal or something like that. I remember they had a kick ass monster truck in that one two.

I don't know if I'm missing any, but basicly Knight Rider was cool in it's own right. I realy hope if they do this that they learn from the mistakes in these previous attempts, or else, this will be an easy strick 3 for this franchise.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366360)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:31am CDT
This could be cool... I think that re-makes like this are always a good idea because for all intents and purposes, they WORK. Knight Rider was extremely popular in its day, and there's no reason to think that an updated version won't sell, so long as it's handled right.

As for the Shape-Shifting, well all I know is that towards the end of the original Knight Rider series, K.I.T.T. woul doccasionally transform in to "Super Pursuit Mode(all of the armor panels extending outward, looked kinda dumb)", and that's something I'd rather not see repeated. But who knows. This could be interesting. Now give me some Airwolf and then we'll be cookin' with Gas!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366364)
Posted by Sign Of The Cross on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:33am CDT
I wonder if they'll try to bring back Peter Cullen to do the voice of K.A.R.R., K.I.T.T.'s evil nemesis?
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366372)
Posted by Leonardo on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:36am CDT
Cullen could be K.I.T.T.!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366397)
Posted by Sarri on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:53am CDT
Aww, Knight Rider, doesn't that bring back memories.
I apropriately fawned over David Hasselhoff, as very girl around here, although I always liked KITT better. I have even have a remote controlled KITT, but I dont know whether he still works, he'll go back onto the drawer tomorrow after the new telephone cable is in place.

I'm undecided as far as a new series goes, depends upon how it is done. Many of the recent SciFi series just can't hold my interest, somehow they have no heart.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366399)
Posted by autobot_aza on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:54am CDT
cool bring back hasselhoff!
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366404)
Posted by BLIX007 on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:56am CDT
Just as long as they don't bring back that no talent ass clown Hasselhoff it will be good.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366408)
Posted by Jimotron Prime on September 27th, 2007 @ 8:58am CDT
So...I know a lot of you are up in arms about this. But I have fond memories of watching Knight Rider as a kid...dare I say almost as much as Transformers? Forget that it was a cheasy show that starred Hasselhoff...to me, there was nothing more exciting than seeing a sleek Trans Am jump over barriers, tear through walls, get shot at, and not suffer a scratch! And then it could also drive itself, which was an added bonus...ah, memories....

I am a little worried, though. As stated, they've had several failures at trying to launch another series, and technically they were trying to take the movie approach (the Weinstein Company had acquired the movie rights). In other words, there's been a lot of talk over the past four years, but no results.
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366411)
Posted by steve2275 on September 27th, 2007 @ 9:01am CDT
as long as the hoff doesnt sing
Re: Knight Rider TV Series Returns...Because of Transformers (366415)
Posted by Robinson on September 27th, 2007 @ 9:03am CDT
I liked the viper concept. Nbc seems to be hitting the mark n a few of its shows now with Heroes, and I havent seen Bionic woman but its got some outside hype. With the right team in place anything is possible.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titan Fortress Maximus Action Figure - B6118" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos & Hardhead *FREE SHIP*" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Chromedome COMPLETE, Great Condition" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cybertron Legends Class Galvatron Action Figure 2005 - MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Club Exclusive Rare - RUNAMUCK" on EBAY