Transformers News: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic

Saturday, June 15th, 2019 11:44PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 20,733

While many fans liked the reveal of Takara's Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy, the wow factor wasn't there as much as on previous MP reveals (ie BW Megatron, Inferno, Dinobot). The large presence of beast kibble and the lack of knowledge on the character helped make it seem as if there wasn't as much an amelioration on the original toy, at least visually. Of course, that is partly due to his cartoon being much closer to the toys, so a toy looking like the show basically means it looking like the original toy. But there is a lot more at play here and I will break it down just in case not everyone caught onto it.

For those unaware, this is how Lio Convoy transforms in the show. His organic lion alt mode first becomes a robotic alt mode.

His original toy, left him as an organic lion, meaning that the mane doesn't have the angular and pronounced nature that it does on the show model. But we see it in this toy.

And yet, this MP Lio Convoy has an organic mane and face in lion mode. So, as you can see, the lion front completely morphs into a different robotic form for the robot mode, as it did in the cartoon.

Here are all the images of MP Lio Convoy we did not publish on the site yet, they come from @Chohenkan, @hayatoron, @Masabon2011 and @Portarmy on Twitter.

Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024732)
Posted by Stargrave on June 15th, 2019 @ 11:46pm CDT
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024735)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 16th, 2019 @ 12:03am CDT
00Stargrave00 wrote:Ok so candidate for the top five most complicated shoulders in TF history list you were working on?

Not complicated at all: it just turns inside out. :P
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024736)
Posted by Stargrave on June 16th, 2019 @ 12:11am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Not complicated at all: it just turns inside out. :P

See, you make it sound so easy :shock:

But it’ll probably take the bulk of the instructions it looks nearly im-paws-able.

I just want to say, cat puns are for winners.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024738)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 16th, 2019 @ 12:33am CDT
00Stargrave00 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Not complicated at all: it just turns inside out. :P

See, you make it sound so easy :shock:

I just want to say, cat puns are for winners.

Cat puns are purr-fect ;) (I love cats)

About the shoulder, I pretty much called it on this figure, considering I saw the organic lion head on the inside of the shoulder. I like this MP, and I think the lion mode is pretty good (better than the previous versions at least) and that robot mode looks spectacular. I have no connection with this character, nor do I know who he really is, I would gladly buy this figure just for his design.

Also, do I spot a hinge on his chest plate? One that may allow for this?
LioConvoyMatrix1.jpg

:DANCE:
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024742)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:29am CDT
To be fair Nathaniel, I think we all saw that other lion head poking out there :lol: I didn't realise that the mane changed like that though, I can see Lio being more expensive then Primal for the upped parts count.

I also concur on the chest hinge, there's most likely something behind that door.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024743)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:57am CDT
While I have zero interest in Lio Convoy, I do hope he doesn't end up a one off, like Star Saber. Beast Wars II MP Galvatron (although I would love both G1 and BW, naturally) I would really be interested in.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024754)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 16th, 2019 @ 10:27am CDT
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024755)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 10:30am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Don’t get me wrong, Lio Convoy looks sexy, it’s just.... I really wanted Jazz or another Season 1/2 character made.

Same here. I don't think anyone expected, let alone asked for, Lio Convoy.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024756)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 16th, 2019 @ 10:42am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Same here. I don't think anyone expected, let alone asked for, Lio Convoy.

To be fair, people in Japan might
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024758)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 16th, 2019 @ 10:50am CDT
Nathaniel Prime wrote:Also, do I spot a hinge on his chest plate? One that may allow for this?
LioConvoyMatrix1.jpg

:DANCE:
It would be all kinds of wrong for this MP to omit the Energon Matrix.

Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024759)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 10:57am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Same here. I don't think anyone expected, let alone asked for, Lio Convoy.

To be fair, people in Japan might

If that were the case, did they ask for the whole series to be represented? If that happens, potentially the entire Beast Wars toyline will be made into Masterpiece.

I'd be fully onboard for that ;)^
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024764)
Posted by Stargrave on June 16th, 2019 @ 11:22am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
LioConvoyMatrix1.jpg

:DANCE:
It would be all kinds of wrong for this MP to omit the Energon Matrix.

They have to have the Energon Meowtrix if they don’t it’d be a litter-al cat-astrophe.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024772)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on June 16th, 2019 @ 1:21pm CDT
So now Masterpiece has gone full Beast Wars?

Why don't they make some RID, Energon, Armada or Cybertron characters?
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024774)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 1:47pm CDT
Aimless Misfire wrote:So now Masterpiece has gone full Beast Wars?

Why don't they make some RID, Energon, Armada or Cybertron characters?

Why not? They are just spinning their wheels with G1 now. As I've said elsewhere, if they are not moving forward with the series, why not just put G1 to the back burner and go for full on MP Beast Wars, RiD, Unicron Trilogy instead? It might prove more successful than they realise.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024776)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:01pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Aimless Misfire wrote:So now Masterpiece has gone full Beast Wars?

Why don't they make some RID, Energon, Armada or Cybertron characters?

Not quite all BW, we still have Hound to look forward to, as well as Jazz, Trailbreaker, Hoist and... that blue guy who hardly showed up in the cartoon, what's his name again? :-P
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024778)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:06pm CDT
Wouldn't it be funny if MP Hot Shot or MP Bulk Head outsold Hot Rod, Bumblebee, Megatron or Ultra Magnus?
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024780)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:22pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Other than Hound (and Bluestreak+), I seem to recall the rest of those are rumoured, at best(poor Jazz).

I'd love to see that.

Imagine if they made mp Energon Optimus, they'd have to make an mp Wing Saber and an Energon Omega Supreme to combine with :lol:

Wonder which character will be lucky mp 50...
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024782)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 16th, 2019 @ 2:25pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Wonder which character will be lucky mp 50...

I've started some speculation on that very thing in the General MP thread ;)^
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024792)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 16th, 2019 @ 3:30pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Wonder which character will be lucky mp 50...

I've started some speculation on that very thing in the General MP thread ;)^

Galvatron? Or a new Rodimus?

Anyway, am loving Lio Convoy, because this figure is just one sexy looking bot. I would love an MP of that Mammoth Prime too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually want to buy this MP, it just looks so damn cool.
Re: More Pictures of Masterpiece MP-48 Lio Convoy Show a Whole New level of Takara Magic (2024793)
Posted by Skritz on June 16th, 2019 @ 4:20pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:

I'd love to see that.

Wonder which character will be lucky mp 50...

Inb4 BWII Galvatron to go against this guy.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #226 - Fire in the Sky
"Fire in the Sky"
Posted: Sunday, July 7th, 2019

Buy "Transformers G1 Takara Hasbro Original Figure Crosshairs 1987" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Energon Igniters Nitro Series, Barricade + Bumblebee IOP" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cannon Bumblebee Revenge Of The Fallen" on EBAY
Buy "Dragonstorm Leader Premier Edition The Last Knight Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Classics TFSS Botcon NIGHT RACER SHAKAR Loose Complete" on EBAY
Buy "2017 McDonalds Transformers Robots In Disguise RID #2 Bumblebee Mask Sealed 2" on EBAY
Buy "2017 McDonalds Transformers Robots In Disguise #4 Optimus Prime Mask Sealed 4" on EBAY
Buy "2017 McDonalds Transformers Robots In Disguise #4 Optimus Prime Mask Sealed 2" on EBAY