Saturday, June 16th, 2018 2:02pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 29,199

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are personal opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Hasbro seems to favour G1 characters for their Generations line and that's fine for now (as long as we get good toys, I am happy). But another major element to the brand is the Beast Era (from the second half of the 90s) which revamped the brand and is a big reason why Transformers has continued while other great 80s toylines are long gone. It is great to see characters like Optimus Primal getting a new toy in the Generations line but others would be fun too. So here is a list of the characters fans and I would love to be able to purchase when they are released in the Generations line. And just like with the list of G1 characters we wanted, the idea here is that the molds are made with these specific characters in mind.

And if Hasbro is reading this, the order is ARBITRARY. I want to one day see all of these, do whichever one you want first, I won't mind.

5. Tigerhawk

When you look at Beast Wars toy that could be better, and more show accurate, you usually end up looking at season 1. Toys for characters from Seasons 2 and 3 for the most part have great show accuracy. But then you get to Tigerhawk and it all falls apart. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to love about the original (and so far only) Tigerhawk toy, but it leaves a lot to be desired, especially if what you want is show accuracy. While the toy has an organic tiger head rather than a more robotic one (ala Transmetal Cheetor), the super weird part is that metallic blue hawk head you can use as a mask. It can recede but not hide away. Plus you get the odd right hand in robot mode with these molded on guns and the articulation is limited by all the mass surrounding the main body. I could also do with a better (coloured) head sculpt. There are just a lot of small changes that could be made to make make the toy even more awesome and show accurate.

- William-James88

Transformers News: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline

4. Transtech Depthcharge

I was very late to the game on seeing those Transtech designs. And for the most part, I was ok with Hasbro moving on. Granted, I would have loved to follow the story and characters, but I wasn't in love with the designs. Too busy (and an odd foreshadowing of the busy designs we would see in the movies). But one I did immediately fall in love with was Depthcharge. The original Depthcharge toy is great and I don't really need another, especially since I know it probably would not retain the gimmicks which I find quite fun and crucial to show accuracy. But I would like to see this character on shelves again and reintroducing him in the War for Cybertron line as a submarine Transformer would be awesome. And come on, who doesn't want a submarine transformer?!

- William-James88

3. Thrust

When I wrote about wanting to seen Neo-G1 toys for Blackout and Sideways, I mentioned that the opportunity to make Neo-G1 toys were very present. That is the case with Beast Machines Thrust. Motorbike alt modes aren't incredibly rare, so it could be relatively easily done at any time. There is even a Digibash of BM Thrust using a mistransformed Groove mold- and it looks awesome!

Thrust got some love with the TFCC Thrusinator (which was an awesome idea). We already got an awesome Generations Waspinator. Let's get his Beast Machines self in there, too! Fans would love it! I'm ready. - Decepticon Finishline

2. BW/BM Silverbolt

One of the most beloved characters from the show, it would be great to get more toys of him on the shelves, in either of his designs. Personally, as I previously stated in a now almost obsolete list, I would very much want to get a decent toy of his Beast Machines design. Hasbro can even feel free to rework the alt mode as long as he doesn't end up as a partsformer with his head between his legs.

- William-James88

1. Terrorsaur

While I am very fond of the original toy as a toy, I never found him to be a good representation of the character. He is far too small and does not really look like Terrorsaur. So he is definitely long overdue. I am beyond curious to see what Hasbro and Takara would come up with as either a reinvention of the design paying homage or something closer to the screen (maybe in robot mode, with a major change for alt mode, who knows). Of course, my ideal version would be something that looks like the show in both modes but that's just because I lack imagination. All I know is that I have always wanted a better representation of Megatron's second in command (that's what Terrorsaur was right?) than the Beast Wars basic toy we got loooooong ago.

- William-James88

Honourable Mention: Beast Wars Megatron

I will never say no to a Beast Wars Megatron (as long as it's not just a random repaint for the hell of it ala POTP Cindersaur), but aside from the major breakage issue of the Transmetal toy, this is a character that has had plenty of great toys in the past with a jaw dropping Masterpiece on the way. So while I am sure no one would mind finding more BW Megs goodness on shelves, I don't consider him as high a priority as the others I mentioned above.

This article was last modified on Saturday, June 16th, 2018 6:51pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965301)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on June 16th, 2018 @ 2:08pm CDT
WAT

YOU MISSED ONE!

Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965302)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 16th, 2018 @ 2:10pm CDT
Good list, Willy J. It's a shame we never got that Beast Megatron retool from FoC Grimlock.

Anyway, my list:

Megatron (any variation)
Blackarachnia (either version)
Inferno
Ravage
Quickstrike

And Beast Machines can go to hell.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965309)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on June 16th, 2018 @ 2:33pm CDT
My list would be as follows (order is irrelevant)

Blackarachnia-transmetal/original

Tarantulas-transmetal/original(but preferably transmetal)

Tigerhawk (and a Razorclaw repaint would be nice)

Lio Convoy (a proper one that isn't an repaint)

Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965318)
Posted by Ig89ninja on June 16th, 2018 @ 3:37pm CDT
gah!! the strike glitch is back in the actual article!!!

edit: yay, its gone!
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965320)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 16th, 2018 @ 3:53pm CDT
there was actually two characters from the tigerhawk mold the other is universe razorclaw ;)
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965323)
Posted by Stormtalon on June 16th, 2018 @ 4:09pm CDT
Since we are pitching pennies in the wishing well. I'd like the first Transmetal Megatron, but with a twist.

I'd like Megs to transform into a full on starship as his transmetal alt. And I'd like that to be scaled up to serve as a BW Trypticon/Nemesis. An ideal two birds, one stone kind of deal.

I'd also like Transmetal 2 Megatron. A dragon/t-rex fight is on my bucket list. And BW Megatron, the most ruthless and underhanded fighter of the bunch would be a mega-slugfest.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965341)
Posted by Easy Tiger on June 16th, 2018 @ 6:10pm CDT
I love pre-beast-mode beast era figures!

(Tbh, this reply wad mostly an attempt to insert the missing /strike tag)
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965349)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 16th, 2018 @ 6:34pm CDT
I would love to see an updated Tigerhawk. That design is wicked!

Silverbolt almost doesn't even need one, but I would like one with thigh rotation.

Blackarachnia would be nice, seeing as how the Legends is the only good version of the character and even then it does have some issues.

Tarantulas would also be fun, in is Transmetal form, as that design was killer. You can even use Nick Roche's design for him, seeing as how he is entirely organic like the season 1 guys but uses the TM body as the basis for the design instead of the original.

They need to do a generations Terrorsaur, he needs it.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965355)
Posted by dflash on June 16th, 2018 @ 7:15pm CDT
I would love to see;
Botanica- she was a very unique plant based transformer and we never got a toy of her.
Nightscream- not my favorite character but we only got one version of him and it was enormous and not show accurate. Deluxe class would be good.
Jetstorm- another that wasn’t show accurate.
Black arachnia- the original black and gold version. This could double as Tarantulas.
Beast Machines Rattrap- deluxe and show accurate.
A Dinobot with a beast mode chest that doesn’t look terrible. There needs to be something else to do with the robot legs.
Polarclaw- he looked cool but I never got my hands on one.
Spittor and Claw jaw- the two that I bought just for fun and rekindled my love for Transformers which is still going strong today.
Make it happen Hasbro! And fill the store shelves! I can’t buy them if I can’t find them!
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965359)
Posted by Randomhero on June 16th, 2018 @ 7:25pm CDT

I don’t mean to sound to sound so antagonistic because I enjoy reading these but I’m not a fan of these lists of wants
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965368)
Posted by william-james88 on June 16th, 2018 @ 8:33pm CDT
Ig89ninja wrote:gah!! the strike glitch is back in the actual article!!!

edit: yay, its gone!

Thanks for letting me know!

Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:WAT

YOU MISSED ONE!

Haha, I cant get them all in a top 5. Good thing Hasbro reads the comments as well as the articles.

Randomhero wrote:I’m sorry Will I’ve always praised your lists but I do not like these lists of wants because your speaking on behalf of everyone by saying ‘We want’. That implies you’re speaking for everyone.

I totally get that. But I do try to write more than just what I want. This list was co written with another member for instance and the previous list was not written by me. Plus, I look at the boards to get a sense of what people want. It worked really well for this list of wants which seemed to be spot on of what the majority wanted :

With Beast Wars I looked at characters we have not gotten in a long time and characters people have wanted to the point of making customs or buying the expensive club figures. Terrorsaur always comes on top of most wanted Beast Wars characters since there are so few options out there (especially in his pterodactyl mode) and Blackarachnia used to be a very requested figure, we have since gotten a decent one in the Legends class so I gave the spot to others.

So of course I cant speak for everyone, but these are the characters I see people wanting, and this list was not just written by me. The problem is fans are so different in their likes and dislikes one to the next that even when I compile what we want most as a group, it might be something totally different to what you like. The two comments from this very thread are a great example:

Wireless_Phantom wrote:and basically everything from beast machines, because none of them have good figures that are in scale

Rodimus Prime wrote:And Beast Machines can go to hell.

:lol: So yeah, not easy to please everyone. And dont worry, you didnt seem antagonistic in the least, I appreciate your support. These past 3 lists were all want lists because we wanted to strike while the iron was hot with these upcoming generations lines coming out in the next 3 years. But from here on out it will be back to the lists you like which deals with the best stuff out there in terms of Transformers. You know what, why don't you pick for me. Would you rather the next top 5 be about best G1 Pretenders, best Ultra Magus toys, Best Hot Rod toys, Best insects tf toys, best cyberverse commander toys, best comic book covers, best looking car alt modes, best RID 2015 toys and best beast wars catchphrases.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965371)
Posted by Thannak on June 16th, 2018 @ 9:17pm CDT
What, no Magnaboss? Or Tripredicus, who REALLY needs a better face?
Also, just for fun how about this guy? Image
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965384)
Posted by TulioDude on June 16th, 2018 @ 10:53pm CDT
Nice idea for a list!

We were close to having another updated Beast Wats toy:

I remenber a few years ago we got this prototype of Beast Wars Megatron remold from Fall of Cybertron Grimlock.I would imagine they were saving for the Beast Wars anniversary.But aside the prototype on ebay we never heard of that again!

Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965418)
Posted by Evil Eye on June 17th, 2018 @ 8:03am CDT
Good list as always! Tigerhawk is an especially good shout, doubly so if it means we get a Universe Razorclaw redeco.

Others I'd like to see:

Blackarachnia. The Legends figure was nice, but I still feel we need a more definitive update. Particularly I feel she needs the spider legs on her shoulders and the claw-hands. A BWMP would be awesome but even a good CHUG rendition would be nice.

Tripredacus: The original toys (sans Ramhorn) were pretty damn cool, but if we got an updated Tripredacus that didn't have an errant crap member, was a bit bigger and most importantly wasn't the...thing Botcon gave us, I'd probably buy it. Tripredacus was an awesome design and a modernized update would be great.

Tarantulas: I have the old Transmetal toy and he's awesome but I feel a new Tarantulas wouldn't go amiss. Especially one based on his original more organic spider mode.

Dinobot: Sure we have the incredible looking (though monstrously complex and rather expensive) MP to look forward to but a new CHUG Dinobot would be brilliant. All the toys made of him thus far have been kinda terrible, and a proper CHUG update would rock.

Inferno: Quite aside from anything else, a new Inferno means the possibility of a new Antagony.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965450)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 17th, 2018 @ 3:09pm CDT
Any new version of beast era characters would be nice maybe do them with a mechanical beast forms and also do updated magnaboss and tripredicus(normal release)
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965456)
Posted by Optimutt on June 17th, 2018 @ 6:12pm CDT
With all the cool panel action we've been getting of late (mostly in the MP line, but also in some of the other lines, as well), they could probably engineer a really cool Noble/Savage. Sure, Japan gave him out with thier G2 Tank Megatron, but it's not the same. A genuine Deluxe / Voyager Red Dragon that transforms into a badaft Purple werewolf? That would be amazing.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965466)
Posted by shajaki on June 17th, 2018 @ 7:48pm CDT
All of the screen characters from Beast Machines. In one matching scale. Please!!!
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965482)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on June 17th, 2018 @ 11:55pm CDT
First, if we are talking re-releases of the toys, my list in no order is: Big Convoy/Ultra Mammoth (both because I need both)
Tigerhawk,Transmetal Tarantulus, TM Megatron (fixed so no breakage of course), TM2 Megatron, and Rampage with TM Primal.

I feel the Transmetals/Fuzors toys were pretty much great. Show accurate for the most part, and great designs. That's what I like in my toys. The original Depthcharge is one of my favorite Transformers ever. Great design, cool character, and great gimmicks. I need Rampage to complete this epic rivalry.

And now if we are going with the redesigns for the toys:
All the pre-Transmetals toys (besides the ones we already got of course) because I mean those originals just don't do it. I would like a redesign for TM2 Megatron. His dragon mode looked amazing, but his bot mode needs a redesign with a change in his tail-head.

If we are talking all new designs to the characters to make them in line with a G1 mechanical animal, awesome. Or sort of their Cybertronian forms, cool. But if we are giving them vehicle modes to fit in the G1 cartoon, then I would say:
Cheetor as a slick yellow/blue hover car like his TM design, Terrosaur as a jet that kept his wing-arm design, Depthcharge as the submarine would be awesome, Scorponok as a backhoe, Megatron as an osprey like his TM design, and Waspinator I feel could be a remold of Generations Springer with the colors being similar already and would fit Waspinator as a flyer anyways.

But my number one want from the Beast Era in the Generations line is:
Majin Zarak. Bring me him as the Titan Class figure.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965507)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 18th, 2018 @ 8:31am CDT
william-james88 wrote:2. BW/BM Silverbolt
One of the most beloved characters from the show

Otherwise, a good list.

Personally, I would like to see the BW Generations fix some figures that either didn't work or went undervalued.

1. Retrax - Remove the spring-loaded gimmick and in the words of Kup "Fix Me!"

2. Iguanus - How about giving him an actual Iguana altmode???

3. Transquito - How does the first actual Triple Changer of BW go under the radar? A new more modern figure should go a long way to address that.

3-5. Here I'd like to see some redecos and retools.

TM Optimus Primal - Apeface. Bright shiny purple Beast Mode: Complete with visor in bot mode.

Bat-Primal/TM2 Sonar
- Ratbat. A redeco of Bat-Primal or a retool & redeco of Sonar. It's weird that neither a 'Mindwipe' or 'Ratbat' existed during the Beast Era.

TM Terrorsaur - Laserbeak. Strangely enough, Laserbeak did exist within BW as a redeco of Terrorsaur's original figure. Yet he is far better suited to the TM version, especially in light of the third mode. Simply take TM Terrorsaur and outfit him in the colour scheme of G1 Laserbeak. It would look awesome.

Honourable mentions -

TM Dinobot - Show us what it would have been, HasTak.

Cybershark - Because f*ck the derivative Sky-Byte! Give us the better designed and original Shark-bot of Beast Wars.
Re: Top 5 Beast Era Characters we Want to See in the Transformers Generations Toyline (1965508)
Posted by william-james88 on June 18th, 2018 @ 8:41am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
TM Dinobot - Show us what it would have been, HasTak.

Did you know we had a licenced toy of TM Dinobot?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 Platinum Edition AUTOBOT HEROES Ultra Magnus Springer Gift X-mas" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Autobots Inter Ops BLASTER PERCEPTOR Christmas Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition BUMBLEBEE & GRIMLOCK Gift Toy Kids Christmas Hot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Extinction Platinum Leader Grimlock & Optimus Prime Gift Toy Robots" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition OPTIMUS PRIME Year Of The Rooster Gift Figure Hot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition UNICRON Action Figure Christmas Kid Gift Toy Hot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of extinction - Costco Exclusive Leader Class Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION GRIMLOCK VS BRUTICUS" on EBAY