Monday, October 31st, 2011 11:52pm CDT

Category: Game News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 45,351

gameinformer's latest Transformers: Fall of Cybertron article, "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments", takes a look at interactive storytelling within the highly anticipated sequel. Click here to read the full article and view a short video on the subject.

Two competing storytelling philosophies exist in video games. One states that a game should be filled with a series of scripted cutscenes that narrate an overarching plot. The other believes a game should never take control away from a player, thereby creating a kind of simulated fiction where the player is mobile actor. In Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, developer High Moon is aiming for this second approach. It hopes to offer players some measure of control even during scripted sequences. But telling a story this way is no simple task.

Using interactive sequences and allowing players to discover the plot on their own is a lot more work than the traditional approach. “I feel like if you can tell a story in-game then that’s how you should do it,” says High Moon cinematics designer Neil Carter. “One of my favorite games is Out of This World. I loved how they seamlessly integrated cutscenes with gameplay. We’re trying to do more stuff like that in Fall of Cybertron.”

Credit(s): gameinformer

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307244)
Posted by Shadowman on November 1st, 2011 @ 1:14am CDT
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307267)
Posted by Zequem on November 1st, 2011 @ 4:57am CDT
So far I'm liking what they're doing with this game. The cut-scenes didn't really bother me in WFC, but it's always nice touch to have the player in more control. And the story flows more nicely.

I just hope there will be some special moves to do. In WFC I was cursing because I couldn't do a barrel-roll while the enemies could. I recall them saying in one video something about "Bumblebee doing back-flips", but before I celebrate I want to see a proof.

Oh, and if all levels are like that, I'm not sure if my brother will get to play the game at all. :D
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307349)
Posted by SlyTF1 on November 1st, 2011 @ 11:49am CDT
Shadowman wrote:So they're just taking the Half-Life approach. Always in control, even in what amounts to cutscenes. A ton of FPS games are doing this nowadays.

Assassin's Creed does that too.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307399)
Posted by metatron_da_don on November 1st, 2011 @ 2:00pm CDT
@Sabrblade thx! I found the video and got a screen cap of Perceptor

........
As for the BW
I remember Beast Wars, I remember they were on the Ark and they were dwarfed by their G1 ancestors on the Ark. Maximals and Predacons are roughly human size according to Wiki they reformatted for energy consumption.

I like BW chars but wouldd not want a Beast Wars game where we abandon G1 for a convoluted storyline.

I'd like for the size guys to maybe be unlockable guest stars via time travel back.
- Optimal Optimus
- TM2 Megatron

If they would make a separate BW game on Earth it would be a smaller scale stealth game in the jungle which I dont think would sell as well.

or anyone that fits size wise but my problem is the majority of them don't.

Maximal Physiology
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307725)
Posted by Wigglez on November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:11am CDT
I could dig a BW game. As long as it played like the TF Armada game. Because I don't really seeing it working like WFC or anything like that. Or maybe a BW RPG game where you create your character that starts from the stasis pods but weren't they all used up in the Gathering?
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307771)
Posted by Shadowman on November 2nd, 2011 @ 12:51pm CDT
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307791)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2011 @ 1:36pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

four if you count the Japanese Game Boy Color game. ;)
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307801)
Posted by Shadowman on November 2nd, 2011 @ 2:02pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

You shouldn't. That's like counting the 360 and PS3 versions of War for Cybertron as separate games.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307809)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2011 @ 2:24pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

Not when the N64 version has different features and characters. Plus a a richer story mode and a different set of endings. The two may be similar, but they have several notable differences that make make them nowhere near as identical to each other as the 360 and PS3 version WFC are.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307860)
Posted by Shadowman on November 2nd, 2011 @ 4:05pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

I only ever played one of the two (PS1, I think) but how did the gameplay differ? A slightly different playable cast and different special features does not a new game make. They're just two versions of the same game. Like the console and DS versions of WfC.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307871)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 2nd, 2011 @ 4:23pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

Optimus Prime comes back half way through the game looks around at the zoo animals unleashed says WTF! grabs Ironhide and wastes everyone.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307875)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2011 @ 4:35pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

The PS1 game is an over-the-head fighter, wile the N64 game is a sideview formatted fighter. The PS1 game assigns characters per match, while the N64 game lets the players choose whoever they want to be. The N64 game includes Megatron X in its story mode, where he is absent in the PS1 game. The PS1 game has a vague ending for story mode, while the N64 game has many diverse and very detailed textual endings for each playable character in story mode.

Though, the console and DS versions of WFC is a good comparison to this, as the DS WFC games are also very different from the console versions of WFC. ;)
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307884)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on November 2nd, 2011 @ 5:10pm CDT
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307886)
Posted by Shadowman on November 2nd, 2011 @ 5:12pm CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:I wish I could play that BW fighting game, that looked sweet with the Transmetals and such...

Transmetals was fine enough, not exactly Game of the Year materials but it's fine. The other game was, by all accounts, terrible. They didn't even get the cast of BW to reprise their roles in it, despite reusing clips from the show as FMVs.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307887)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2011 @ 5:12pm CDT
Eh, it wasn't that great. Not overtly terrible, but still subpar at best. IGN gave both versions a 3.0 out of 10.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307890)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on November 2nd, 2011 @ 5:16pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Thats too bad, I'd love to have a current fighting game with TF characters, the character list could be huge, haha. Kinda off topic, but does anyone remember this 2D fighting game with robots? The art style was like marvel/capcom (lots of bright colours), and the robots were not just bipedal. I used to play it in the arcade when I was little and it was just so awesome, haha.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307897)
Posted by El Duque on November 2nd, 2011 @ 5:47pm CDT
gameinformer editors Matt Miller and Ben Reeves recently sat down for a roundtable discussion with High Moon Studios game director Matt Tieger and lead programmer Andrew Zaferakis regarding the highly anticipated Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Click here to view the nearly 35 minute video.

We've been highlighting key areas of the new game during our month of coverage on Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, but in this video discussion we hope to address some of your remaining questions. Game Informer editors Matt Miller and Ben Reeves sat down in the conference room at High Moon Studios with game director Matt Tieger and lead programmer Andrew Zaferakis for a casual conversation about the most interesting gameplay additions to Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. If you have any remaining questions, feel free to submit them for the upcoming Transformers podcast with Matt Tieger. We hope you enjoy the video, and we apologize on behalf of Ben Reeves for the bad jokes.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307910)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 2nd, 2011 @ 6:43pm CDT
Whoa. :shock: We knew Metroplex was big, but two and half times the size of Omega Supreme is just massive! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1307911)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on November 2nd, 2011 @ 6:47pm CDT
This sounds so good. I love how they are dealing with Grimlock and his rage>transform deal. I was kind of worried of it being just a little boring if you could just be in alt mode all the time with him... kudos, highmoon. Got a tiny bit of mechlab customization too it sounds, always great. I think colours are going to be sort of limited again, since he mentioned how the colours are the factions(?).
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron "Larger Than Life: Designing Fall of Cybertron's Set Piece Moments" (1308143)
Posted by Wigglez on November 3rd, 2011 @ 12:16pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:I could dig a BW game.

They made two Beast Wars games.
Three counting the N64 version.

The PS1 game is an over-the-head fighter, wile the N64 game is a sideview formatted fighter. The PS1 game assigns characters per match, while the N64 game lets the players choose whoever they want to be. The N64 game includes Megatron X in its story mode, where he is absent in the PS1 game. The PS1 game has a vague ending for story mode, while the N64 game and many diverse and very detailed textual endings for each playable character in story mode.

I know there were BW games. But I didn't like them back then either. Arena fighter games aren't really my thing

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "*READ** Transformers Netflix Edition WFC Earthrise Optimus & Siege Nemesis Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Classics Cliffjumper with head upgrade complete Generations G1" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Cyclonus complete G1 Combiner Wars" on EBAY
Buy "RARE Transformers Takara Tomy Legends LG12 Windblade - Mint SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Rare Transformers Takara Legends LG10 Arcee - Mint Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Legends LG-17 Blackarachnia - Mint Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars First Aid Of Defensor, Protectobots, Autobot Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Jetfire lg07" on EBAY