This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 9:05PM CST

Categories: Site News, Digital Media News, Podcast
Posted by: Razorclaw0000   Views: 78,548

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Get ready to command some cities with the Twincast! Join host ScottyP, regulars Counterpunch, Jon3.0, xRotorstormx, Razorclaw0000, Seibertron, and Twincast auditioner Leader Ultra Magnus as they delve into an all toy, all the time episode.

Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" is available directly and in our RSS Feed and should appear on iTunes, and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Topics include:

Masterpiece Ultra Magnus toy in hand, and why Bob is a horrible person for not buying it.
Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Combiner Wars Devastator rumors - including a six figure box set, possibly at SDCC?
Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

The latest Generations and Combiner Wars toys - including:
Arcee and Chromia
Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Combiner Wars Wave 1
Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

The BotCon 2015 Theme has been hinted... does anyone care?
Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Topic discussion - figure quality control and what constitutes an inexcusable flaw, or what can you look past?

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That"

Ask the Twincast - from our own news staff member william-james88:
Of course, original stickers in good quality will always be most desirable but what is worth more between:
A g1 toy with reprolabel stickers or a g1 toy with faded/incomplete/scrappy original stickers.
Does applying reprolabels to a G1 transformer make it lose value?


Bragging Rights

Don't forget, the show only gets better if you tell us how. Drop us a review on iTunes and be sure to tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you want to hear!

Not on the show to give your take? Probably not, so don't forget to keep the discussion going on the Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums by simply replying to this post!

Got a question for the Twincast? We take all of them, we just don't take them all seriously! Leave a question in the Ask the Twincast thread and, if it makes the cut, it may get read and answered on the show.

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641370)
Posted by Samsonator on January 20th, 2015 @ 9:23pm CST
Oh I am so glad this is up, it's been a long work week and now I've got something to take the edge off... well... this and possibly alcohol...
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641398)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on January 20th, 2015 @ 10:48pm CST
Anyone ever notice combiners are essentially transformers having an orgy, and make a bigger robot? >:oP

Oh and it seems that there's allota Michael's/Mikes auditioning and/on the show.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641421)
Posted by Samsonator on January 21st, 2015 @ 1:04am CST
Good episode, I really dig these long ones.
Can't really say why, for sure... but I'm really looking forward to episode 110 now!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641672)
Posted by Kibble on January 21st, 2015 @ 7:11pm CST
Odd that some of the MP 'desirables' mentioned in this episode are what a lot of MP collectors complain about, either in the official line or 3rd party releases. Specifically gimmicks and light piping for eyes... Personally, I could do without both. Light piping, while cool looking when you have a light shining on the back of the head, is mostly useless when the figure is sitting on a shelf and gives the figure dull or 'dead' eyes without the proper lighting. And gimmicks, I'm fine with them if they don't himder the figure, but most the time they're unnecessary. The figure transforming and looking like the toon is all the gimmick I need.

As for Ultra Magnus...great figure! But I do wish they would have scaled him to bot mode like they have the rest of the line since the reboot. Not even the carbots scale properly in alt mode to MP-10, why's Magnus the one exception? I'd understand if they went the white Prime route and that's just how it landed, but they didn't... But I think I'm probably in the minority I'm that one. Good for everyone else, I guess.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641695)
Posted by fenrir72 on January 21st, 2015 @ 9:08pm CST
I think if they scaled him smaller, it won't be proportional to MP-10 and won't be a car carrier for the other MP cars.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641725)
Posted by megatronus on January 21st, 2015 @ 10:28pm CST
Wow, another one out already! I need to catch up...
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641744)
Posted by mooncake623 on January 21st, 2015 @ 11:26pm CST
Wow that cloud Rodimus is unacceptable!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641861)
Posted by ScottyP on January 22nd, 2015 @ 9:02am CST
Kibble wrote:Light piping, while cool looking when you have a light shining on the back of the head, is mostly useless when the figure is sitting on a shelf and gives the figure dull or 'dead' eyes without the proper lighting.

Amen to that. This is precisely why I prefer the Hasbro MP-10 robot/truck piece. Just can't stand the "dead eyes" on the Takara one (though still buying the re-release of it for the nicer trailer. I suck.)

I often ignore light piping on Gundams too, it's super whack in almost every case. Even the stickers are reflective and, meh. So from that experience, here's my recommendation for figures with green eyes where you want to really make them "pop" on the shelf: www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Models-Acrylic-Pa ... 00KMWUS8U/

Anybody got some good recommendations for blue or red? Gotta be bright but not too bright, ya know?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641917)
Posted by Kibble on January 22nd, 2015 @ 10:19am CST
fenrir72 wrote:I think if they scaled him smaller, it won't be proportional to MP-10 and won't be a car carrier for the other MP cars.


Wouldn't be proportional to MP-10 in alt mode...instead he's not proportional in bot mode. I thought the point of the reboot was to scale properly in bot mode... And you're right that he wouldn't be a working car carrier for the other MP cars...the whole one time I did it for 2 minutes and will likely ever do it. But hot damn if it wasn't worth it at the price of the 99.99% of the rest of time he'll be the wrong size in the mode he's actually displayed in!

I get why they did it (more or less)...I just don't agree with it, nor does the choice agree with how they've been doing the other figures. But whatevs. Although if this figure continues with the trend of MP figs getting KO'ed, it would be awesome if they shrunk it down an inch and a half. I would totally buy that chit.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1641986)
Posted by megatronus on January 22nd, 2015 @ 1:05pm CST
Kibble wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:I think if they scaled him smaller, it won't be proportional to MP-10 and won't be a car carrier for the other MP cars.


Wouldn't be proportional to MP-10 in alt mode...instead he's not proportional in bot mode. I thought the point of the reboot was to scale properly in bot mode... And you're right that he wouldn't be a working car carrier for the other MP cars...the whole one time I did it for 2 minutes and will likely ever do it. But hot damn if it wasn't worth it at the price of the 99.99% of the rest of time he'll be the wrong size in the mode he's actually displayed in!

I get why they did it (more or less)...I just don't agree with it, nor does the choice agree with how they've been doing the other figures. But whatevs. Although if this figure continues with the trend of MP figs getting KO'ed, it would be awesome if they shrunk it down an inch and a half. I would totally buy that chit.

At its heart, the MP line is a compromise between vehicular and robot scale. Just as Magnus is a bit taller than he should be, arguments have been made that bots like Sideswipe & Prowl should have been slightly taller. But that doesn't change the fact that, considering the size of the task and the choices they've had to make on both sides of the scale question, Takara has done an amazing job.

I got my MP Magnus in earlier this week. At first, I really didn't like him - the limited articulation in bot mode soured my opinion. He's grown one me - he is Magnus. Seeing him standing on the shelf with Optimus, Wheeljack, and the rest seems so right. And at the end of the day, if it feels right to me, that's what matters.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1642223)
Posted by Flux Convoy on January 22nd, 2015 @ 11:53pm CST
Lots of complaints about the club and Botcon in general and yet you're talking about it. That's the point. We're months away and not knowing what's exactly being done has got you talking about it. I'm willing to bet every one on the cast owns the vast majority of the club/con figures as well. How quickly we forget the good and are willing to talk smack about the club with no one to counter(punch?)point you. ;) I've been around for the whole ride minus the con in 05. I've gotten some great toys. Had some great times with some great friends I've made attending. Enjoyed some fun fiction and in some cases, phenomenal art. I've never been left out to dry with poor customer service. So really, at this point, is it just the popular thing to do to still be holding a grudge? We're all adults, collecting toys. If there's some legitimate issue, I would imagine we're all adult enough to manage a solution. Whether that's to stop doing business with them, or continue to give them business and complain, that's your choice. Whatever the case, it's far past time to stop visiting that well.

I've never heard about the missing battery cover for Sentinel Maximus and I've owned him for years. I can't find any mention of it doing a Google search. I couldn't even find images of the battery cover. I had to take out mine to guess where it might be. Ha! So yeah, first time hearing that.
:BOT:
P.S. I realize I made it sound as if the battery cover was missing but it was intact. Crisis averted.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1642298)
Posted by balgorra on January 23rd, 2015 @ 8:30am CST
xRotorstormx, I live in Baytown, Tx and that Toys R Us has been poorly stocked for Transformers for the base 2 years or so. I did not see any on the current movie figures there until about 2 weeks after they were released everywhere else. Unfortunately it is not just the Toys R Us, it is the area in general late distribution all around.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1643900)
Posted by Va'al on January 28th, 2015 @ 8:53am CST
Finally able to listen to this one too, and have a reply to Seibertron and those who mentioned the lack of artist acknowledgement in Transformers: Legacy.

This is what Sorenson had to say about it when we interviewed him and Bill Forster about the book:

Va'al – I will not comment on Hasbro UK, here. I think my question at this point, though, is: what about the artists of the original artwork? Did you find out who they were?

Jim – They're all in the Acknowledgements section, we did contact them but not everyone remembered what they actually worked on. We didn't think it made sense to do attributions if we only knew about 40% of the total. But they are there, and they did help with the book.


I do not have a copy at hand to check, but I do remember seeing something to that effect in the Acknowledgements page!


As for Leader Ultra Magnus - holy carp your voice is amazing. :D
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1645936)
Posted by ScottyP on February 2nd, 2015 @ 2:03pm CST
Flux Convoy wrote:Lots of complaints about the club and Botcon in general and yet you're talking about it. That's the point. We're months away and not knowing what's exactly being done has got you talking about it. I'm willing to bet every one on the cast owns the vast majority of the club/con figures as well. How quickly we forget the good and are willing to talk smack about the club with no one to counter(punch?)point you. ;) I've been around for the whole ride minus the con in 05. I've gotten some great toys. Had some great times with some great friends I've made attending. Enjoyed some fun fiction and in some cases, phenomenal art. I've never been left out to dry with poor customer service. So really, at this point, is it just the popular thing to do to still be holding a grudge? We're all adults, collecting toys. If there's some legitimate issue, I would imagine we're all adult enough to manage a solution. Whether that's to stop doing business with them, or continue to give them business and complain, that's your choice. Whatever the case, it's far past time to stop visiting that well.

I can definitely relate to this point of view. Almost everything I've personally dealt with regarding the Club and Botcon has been great and very fun, and yes, I own all but like 6 of their figures.

Personally, it seems fair to criticize their methods because they don't seem to be worried about growing the club and convention, and any issues I raise about them stems from a genuine care and desire for them to do well. If the convention grows and becomes something even cooler, that's great. Doesn't seem they want that to be the case, which is frustrating. But truly, any complaining is, for me, rooted out of a positive place at the end of the day. It can't help but come across as negative, especially once rolling with it as a group, but just feels like they're losing the pulse of the fan community and it concerns me, so the topic gets brought up.

That said, if a good portion of our listener base is sick of that kind of talk, we can absolutely cut down on it! :D
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1646195)
Posted by Counterpunch on February 3rd, 2015 @ 10:22am CST
ScottyP wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:Lots of complaints about the club and Botcon in general and yet you're talking about it. That's the point. We're months away and not knowing what's exactly being done has got you talking about it. I'm willing to bet every one on the cast owns the vast majority of the club/con figures as well. How quickly we forget the good and are willing to talk smack about the club with no one to counter(punch?)point you. ;) I've been around for the whole ride minus the con in 05. I've gotten some great toys. Had some great times with some great friends I've made attending. Enjoyed some fun fiction and in some cases, phenomenal art. I've never been left out to dry with poor customer service. So really, at this point, is it just the popular thing to do to still be holding a grudge? We're all adults, collecting toys. If there's some legitimate issue, I would imagine we're all adult enough to manage a solution. Whether that's to stop doing business with them, or continue to give them business and complain, that's your choice. Whatever the case, it's far past time to stop visiting that well.

I can definitely relate to this point of view. Almost everything I've personally dealt with regarding the Club and Botcon has been great and very fun, and yes, I own all but like 6 of their figures.

Personally, it seems fair to criticize their methods because they don't seem to be worried about growing the club and convention, and any issues I raise about them stems from a genuine care and desire for them to do well. If the convention grows and becomes something even cooler, that's great. Doesn't seem they want that to be the case, which is frustrating. But truly, any complaining is, for me, rooted out of a positive place at the end of the day. It can't help but come across as negative, especially once rolling with it as a group, but just feels like they're losing the pulse of the fan community and it concerns me, so the topic gets brought up.

That said, if a good portion of our listener base is sick of that kind of talk, we can absolutely cut down on it! :D


I feel like for the most part, we have always been fair with the club and Botcon. To not point out our frustrations when things do not improve would be disingenuous.

I feel like we have always balanced it by being prompt and thorough with the things they do well and right.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1646200)
Posted by megatronus on February 3rd, 2015 @ 10:42am CST
Counterpunch wrote:
ScottyP wrote:I can definitely relate to this point of view. Almost everything I've personally dealt with regarding the Club and Botcon has been great and very fun, and yes, I own all but like 6 of their figures.

Personally, it seems fair to criticize their methods because they don't seem to be worried about growing the club and convention, and any issues I raise about them stems from a genuine care and desire for them to do well. If the convention grows and becomes something even cooler, that's great. Doesn't seem they want that to be the case, which is frustrating. But truly, any complaining is, for me, rooted out of a positive place at the end of the day. It can't help but come across as negative, especially once rolling with it as a group, but just feels like they're losing the pulse of the fan community and it concerns me, so the topic gets brought up.

That said, if a good portion of our listener base is sick of that kind of talk, we can absolutely cut down on it! :D


I feel like for the most part, we have always been fair with the club and Botcon. To not point out our frustrations when things do not improve would be disingenuous.

I feel like we have always balanced it by being prompt and thorough with the things they do well and right.

I personally think the twincast's treatment of the Club, and the validity of certain criticisms, depends largely on exactly what the criticism is.

For example, when you talk about outdated marketing models, the seeming lack of interest to grow the convention, and the over sexualizarion or arbitrariness of certain Club characters/fiction/toys, I think the criticism tends to be fairly even handed.

When it comes to criticism of the convention location or timing of announcements, I raise an eyebrow. Certain podcast members regularly bemoaned the CA convention location for the past few years, but when the Chicago location for 2015 was announced, there was no love - in fact, more lampooning for the most part. Or, when the Club announced Chicago farther in advance than usual after complaints of not giving enough notice, there was more complaining about how they should announce it even farther in advance - preferably at the end of the previous year's Botcon. Granted, these criticisms were largely tied to the fact that the Club was obviously trying to disrupt TFcon, but it seems they just can't win on certain things.

At any rate, I don't mind Club criticism - we're all very passionate people who care about the brand, and if the official Club that represents that brand makes major missteps, it's our job to make that known. Besides, why would I want to listen to a podcast where everyone agrees with me on everything? :P
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1647594)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 6th, 2015 @ 5:22pm CST
What exactly do you think needs improving though? Obviously whatever they're doing is working for them. Lines are an issue at any con. As noted by others, go to any other convention where celebrities are present. See if Botcon lines aren't miniscule in comparison. You certainly won't get the kind of quality time with a celebrity like you can at Botcon or these TF fan specific events. I own every figure they've done including the Magnificus and SG ehobby pack. There's slim few I don't care for. No huge complaints. I'm more frustrated with the lack of certain characters instead of others sometimes. I guess the negative attitudes just grate on me. "A big box of shit." I mean, c'mon. Has there been a year where the majority of the box set is actually bad? By any stretch? I've attended every show since 06. Being a Florida resident, travel expenses to California are outrageous. Yet we managed it, every time. I get the location gripes from my end of it. However, I have never had a bad time in Cali. The locations have never been run down or gross. Never had a bad experience there. We were ecstatic to hear this year was going to be our end of the country. Otherwise we were going to have to bow out. In short, I don't get a lot of the complaints. I agree that I don't want to listen to a show where everyone agrees with me either but it's gotten old and redundant to constantly berate the club. My (more than) two cents.
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648618)
Posted by Counterpunch on February 9th, 2015 @ 9:23am CST
Flux Convoy wrote:What exactly do you think needs improving though?


My two biggest issues:

1. Order show exclusives when you register.
2. Modern websites and webservices for ordering, including adequate security measures.

And my one growing issue:

Better control over how new heads are QCed. This truly was not an issue for me for a long time, but it seems that every year there is one that is problematic now.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648711)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 9th, 2015 @ 1:29pm CST
Counterpunch wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:What exactly do you think needs improving though?


My two biggest issues:

1. Order show exclusives when you register.
2. Modern websites and webservices for ordering, including adequate security measures.

And my one growing issue:

Better control over how new heads are QCed. This truly was not an issue for me for a long time, but it seems that every year there is one that is problematic now.

The mystery part has always been Botcon tradition. I like being surprised. Your second point, I have no counter for. There's no denying their web technology should have grown up by now. Your final point, I'm having a hard time remembering any Club or Botcon figures in the last couple years with any head issues. I'd be interested to hear which ones you have issues with.
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648714)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 1:32pm CST
Flux Convoy wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:What exactly do you think needs improving though?


My two biggest issues:

1. Order show exclusives when you register.
2. Modern websites and webservices for ordering, including adequate security measures.

And my one growing issue:

Better control over how new heads are QCed. This truly was not an issue for me for a long time, but it seems that every year there is one that is problematic now.

The mystery part has always been Botcon tradition. I like being surprised.
:BOT:


Just because it's a tradition, doesn't mean it's a good thing >:oP Maybe some people want to know if they're going to actually get their $400+ worth before signing up.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648715)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 9th, 2015 @ 1:34pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Just because it's a tradition, doesn't mean it's a good thing >:oP Maybe some people want to know if they're going to actually get their $400+ worth before signing up.

Except you do know what you're getting for the admission cost. The souvenirs are a separate cost.
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648723)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 1:51pm CST
Flux Convoy wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Just because it's a tradition, doesn't mean it's a good thing >:oP Maybe some people want to know if they're going to actually get their $400+ worth before signing up.

Except you do know what you're getting for the admission cost. The souvenirs are a separate cost.
:BOT:

Yeah you know you're getting figures of a sort. Maybe it would be better knowing who those figures are before setting out on a cross country trek for toys you don't want; but you don't know you don't want them, because you weren't told who they were. The point is not all botcon figures are great, and someone shouldn't have to pay the cost of admission, plus some, to find out you don't like figures you blew a little over $1000
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648729)
Posted by Seibertron on February 9th, 2015 @ 2:15pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Just because it's a tradition, doesn't mean it's a good thing >:oP Maybe some people want to know if they're going to actually get their $400+ worth before signing up.

Except you do know what you're getting for the admission cost. The souvenirs are a separate cost.
:BOT:

Yeah you know you're getting figures of a sort. Maybe it would be better knowing who those figures are before setting out on a cross country trek for toys you don't want; but you don't know you don't want them, because you weren't told who they were. The point is not all botcon figures are great, and someone shouldn't have to pay the cost of admission, plus some, to find out you don't like figures you blew a little over $1000


I'm in the camp that thinks all of the exclusives should be revealed, and that all of the exclusives should be revealed long before hand. If they want to hold back the attendee giveaway, that'd be fine ... but to hold back half the set just doesn't make sense to me. I think they'd get a better turn out if they just showed their full hand instead of doing this convention like it's still back in the day. It comes across to me like they're afraid of revealing all of their exclusives for some reason instead of standing behind their product(s) sold at their event proudly.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648734)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 2:23pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
Just because it's a tradition, doesn't mean it's a good thing >:oP Maybe some people want to know if they're going to actually get their $400+ worth before signing up.

Except you do know what you're getting for the admission cost. The souvenirs are a separate cost.
:BOT:

Yeah you know you're getting figures of a sort. Maybe it would be better knowing who those figures are before setting out on a cross country trek for toys you don't want; but you don't know you don't want them, because you weren't told who they were. The point is not all botcon figures are great, and someone shouldn't have to pay the cost of admission, plus some, to find out you don't like figures you blew a little over $1000


I'm in the camp that thinks all of the exclusives should be revealed, and that all of the exclusives should be revealed long before hand. If they want to hold back the attendee giveaway, that'd be fine ... but to hold back half the set just doesn't make sense to me. I think they'd get a better turn out if they just showed their full hand instead of doing this convention like it's still back in the day. It comes across to me like they're afraid of revealing all of their exclusives for some reason instead of standing behind their product(s) sold at their event proudly.



I've said this for years, the club's focus are the hardcore fans who were there for '95, '05, and who will attend in 2015; because lets face it if you're a fan who can go every year; you will. and those are guaranteed checks for the club. Now that's not bad, just stagnant; the club won't change; if there's no need to.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648741)
Posted by megatronus on February 9th, 2015 @ 2:44pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I've said this for years, the club's focus are the hardcore fans who were there for '95, '05, and who will attend in 2015; because lets face it if you're a fan who can go every year; you will. and those are guaranteed checks for the club. Now that's not bad, just stagnant; the club won't change; if there's no need to.

Which is sad, because there are definitely mid-tier folks like me who can sign up for the subscription service, but can't justify going to a convention every year. Chicago makes it easier, but it's still a challenge. Some innovation might get some folks off the fence.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648746)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 3:01pm CST
megatronus wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I've said this for years, the club's focus are the hardcore fans who were there for '95, '05, and who will attend in 2015; because lets face it if you're a fan who can go every year; you will. and those are guaranteed checks for the club. Now that's ot bad, just stagnant; the club won't change; if there's no need to.

Which is sad, because there are definitely mid-tier folks like me who can sign up for the subscription service, but can't justify going to a convention every year. Chicago makes it easier, but it's still a challenge. Some innovation might get some folks off the fence.

Yeah but that's risky, because if it's to new it will alienate hardcore fans,but if it's the same old same old, the fans who are willing to go every year are still a guaranteed check, and as long as it's a steady guarantee and they break even at least, the club won't change, because it's secure.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648761)
Posted by megatronus on February 9th, 2015 @ 4:01pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
megatronus wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I've said this for years, the club's focus are the hardcore fans who were there for '95, '05, and who will attend in 2015; because lets face it if you're a fan who can go every year; you will. and those are guaranteed checks for the club. Now that's ot bad, just stagnant; the club won't change; if there's no need to.

Which is sad, because there are definitely mid-tier folks like me who can sign up for the subscription service, but can't justify going to a convention every year. Chicago makes it easier, but it's still a challenge. Some innovation might get some folks off the fence.

Yeah but that's risky, because if it's to new it will alienate hardcore fans,but if it's the same old same old, the fans who are willing to go every year are still a guaranteed check, and as long as it's a steady guarantee and they break even at least, the club won't change, because it's secure.

I'm not sure it would be so risky. Like you say, the guaranteed checks are guaranteed checks. The people who go every year tend to emphasize the social benefits and "experience of being at Botcon" rather than the product itself, or the advertising strategies that market that product.

But folks like us? I think if they want to broaden their base of attendees, they really need to implement at least some incremental change and experimentation.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648780)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 5:18pm CST
megatronus wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
megatronus wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I've said this for years, the club's focus are the hardcore fans who were there for '95, '05, and who will attend in 2015; because lets face it if you're a fan who can go every year; you will. and those are guaranteed checks for the club. Now that's ot bad, just stagnant; the club won't change; if there's no need to.

Which is sad, because there are definitely mid-tier folks like me who can sign up for the subscription service, but can't justify going to a convention every year. Chicago makes it easier, but it's still a challenge. Some innovation might get some folks off the fence.

Yeah but that's risky, because if it's to new it will alienate hardcore fans,but if it's the same old same old, the fans who are willing to go every year are still a guaranteed check, and as long as it's a steady guarantee and they break even at least, the club won't change, because it's secure.

I'm not sure it would be so risky. Like you say, the guaranteed checks are guaranteed checks. The people who go every year tend to emphasize the social benefits and "experience of being at Botcon" rather than the product itself, or the advertising strategies that market that product.

But folks like us? I think if they want to broaden their base of attendees, they really need to implement at least some incremental change and experimentation.


The people who go place emphasis the social gathering, however that's not what botcon's necessarily about in a capitalist sense you know. Botcon gets most of it's money back in sales, how the sales go about doesn't matter whether people are buying the privilege to be part of the social event, the toys or the personalities. However Something I think needs to happen is botcon needs to settle. The traveling circus is fun sure,but a set time and place would help stabilize it fiscally. The one thing I wish would happen, and I know this would upset people in the midwest and south. However I think there need to be a Botcon East, and Botcon West. because people like me on the coast, specifically the west coast, there's absolutely no convention for us this side of SDCC.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648807)
Posted by ScottyP on February 9th, 2015 @ 6:45pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:However I think there need to be a Botcon East, and Botcon West. because people like me on the coast, specifically the west coast, there's absolutely no convention for us this side of SDCC.

A thousand times this. Have your California show, heck do Pasadena every year if you want to, it seems to make them money. Then rotate it around the East Coast and Midwest; see what works and what doesn't.

Maybe TF Con running two shows a year now will kick them in the pants a bit to do the same. Maybe.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648808)
Posted by Va'al on February 9th, 2015 @ 6:47pm CST
Imma let you finish, but I need to share this reminder about Alpha Bravo.

Va'al wrote:Image

How can you not love him.

Image

He's so majestic.

Image

He's so selfless.

Image

He's so stylish.

Image

And a great team worker.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648823)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 9th, 2015 @ 7:08pm CST
Alpha Bravo is the Chewbacca of Combiner wars, AKA the true hero.


ScottyP wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:However I think there need to be a Botcon East, and Botcon West. because people like me on the coast, specifically the west coast, there's absolutely no convention for us this side of SDCC.

A thousand times this. Have your California show, heck do Pasadena every year if you want to, it seems to make them money. Then rotate it around the East Coast and Midwest; see what works and what doesn't.

Maybe TF Con running two shows a year now will kick them in the pants a bit to do the same. Maybe.


Anyhow, I can only hope this would happen though knowing the club, if they do two conventions, that'd probably cause some friction in regards to exclusives, what's going to happen at the show, booking, what have you. But if that does happen they should be treated like two separate conventions. maybe two sets of toys, or just the average count divided by two; whatever, guests based on proximity and scheduling, and the vent based on locale. If they wanted to do the traveling circus, they could literally have it where there's two cons have charter maps, this one goes Pasadena, Seattle, Portland, Tucson; this one goes Chicago, Houston, New York, Atlanta, etc.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648916)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 9th, 2015 @ 10:29pm CST
Two shows a year is kind of a pipe dream. You guys said it yourselves, the the returning customers are likely to remain so. I hardly think showing off the other figures is going to matter much. It hasn't to my girl and I for the last decade. She doesn't give a damn about Transformers at all. It's those friends we've made that bring us back every year. Would I like to know all the toys? Probably. I much prefer being pleasantly surprised. If I'm not, then I simply wouldn't buy them. That's if I didn't collect all their figures. No one is forcing my hand there. That's all on me. I agree that some things are dated but if they work and they're profiting, why bother changing?
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648939)
Posted by megatronus on February 9th, 2015 @ 11:30pm CST
Flux Convoy wrote:but if they work and they're profiting, why bother changing? :BOT:


...because everyone knows the Transformers brand is about not changing. :CON:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648966)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 10th, 2015 @ 1:20am CST
megatronus wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:but if they work and they're profiting, why bother changing? :BOT:


...because everyone knows the Transformers brand is about not changing. :CON:

Sarcasm aside, I understand what you're saying. Capitalism doesn't adhere to any rule other than trying to make a profit though. Obviously this works for them. They're clearly not changing the strategy. We've all had ten years to get over it. I'm gonna go to Botcon and have a great time with great people even if I hate every last figure this year. I'm gonna be a club member and hope they produce stuff I like. If not, I'll live. They're only toys. It's a gamble, take it or leave it. Even better/cheaper, make friends with folks who attend. Have them grab stuff you want. I'd offer but my hands are already full. I lost my point. It's a hobby about toys. Shouldn't that be a fun thing?
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648967)
Posted by megatronus on February 10th, 2015 @ 1:29am CST
Flux Convoy wrote:
megatronus wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:but if they work and they're profiting, why bother changing? :BOT:


...because everyone knows the Transformers brand is about not changing. :CON:

Sarcasm aside, I understand what you're saying. Capitalism doesn't adhere to any rule other than trying to make a profit though. Obviously this works for them. They're clearly not changing the strategy. We've all had ten years to get over it. I'm gonna go to Botcon and have a great time with great people even if I hate every last figure this year. I'm gonna be a club member and hope they produce stuff I like. If not, I'll live. They're only toys. It's a gamble, take it or leave it. Even better/cheaper, make friends with folks who attend. Have them grab stuff you want. I'd offer but my hands are already full. I lost my point. It's a hobby about toys. Shouldn't that be a fun thing?
:BOT:

I'm glad you understood it was sarcasm in jest ;)

Thing is, you're going to go anyway. You're a guaranteed revenue stream to the Club. The question isn't about how to keep attendance the same, it's about how to grow the convention so the Club can make more money, put out more figures, and generally keep this whole thing going for longer. Keeping everything the same isn't the way to do that, necessarily.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648968)
Posted by Flux Convoy on February 10th, 2015 @ 1:34am CST
I'd definitely argue that they're producing more. The sub and the additional figures. They're producing twenty plus figures per year now.
:BOT:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648972)
Posted by megatronus on February 10th, 2015 @ 2:21am CST
Flux Convoy wrote:I'd definitely argue that they're producing more. The sub and the additional figures. They're producing twenty plus figures per year now.
:BOT:

I think you're missing my point...
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1648976)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 10th, 2015 @ 2:54am CST
megatronus wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:
megatronus wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:but if they work and they're profiting, why bother changing? :BOT:


...because everyone knows the Transformers brand is about not changing. :CON:

Sarcasm aside, I understand what you're saying. Capitalism doesn't adhere to any rule other than trying to make a profit though. Obviously this works for them. They're clearly not changing the strategy. We've all had ten years to get over it. I'm gonna go to Botcon and have a great time with great people even if I hate every last figure this year. I'm gonna be a club member and hope they produce stuff I like. If not, I'll live. They're only toys. It's a gamble, take it or leave it. Even better/cheaper, make friends with folks who attend. Have them grab stuff you want. I'd offer but my hands are already full. I lost my point. It's a hobby about toys. Shouldn't that be a fun thing?
:BOT:

I'm glad you understood it was sarcasm in jest ;)

Thing is, you're going to go anyway. You're a guaranteed revenue stream to the Club. The question isn't about how to keep attendance the same, it's about how to grow the convention so the Club can make more money, put out more figures, and generally keep this whole thing going for longer. Keeping everything the same isn't the way to do that, necessarily.


Yep, the problem with the club is how stagnant it is. Even if the club is making enough to break even or better, they're still depending mostly on older hardcore fans. Eventually those fans will either get frustrated with the club's lack of ingenuity, or how tedious they've been for the decade plus, either way with the clubs dependency on this small sector of fans; because lets face it, there are more people like me and megatronus, than say you or seibertron, and when that fan base starts to dwindle, the club will start hurting.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1649102)
Posted by Counterpunch on February 10th, 2015 @ 10:34am CST
Va'al wrote:Imma let you finish, but I need to share this reminder about Alpha Bravo.

Va'al wrote:Image

How can you not love him.

Image

He's so majestic.

Image

He's so selfless.

Image

He's so stylish.

Image

And a great team worker.


Alpha Bravo for President. >:oP
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #109 "I Can Deal With That" (1649117)
Posted by Va'al on February 10th, 2015 @ 10:45am CST
Counterpunch wrote:Alpha Bravo for President. >:oP


Alpha Bravo - Always ready to lend a hand.

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #1 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics DEC220423 1C Aragones"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr F Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230209 1F (CA) Action Figure"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #2 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics JAN230440 2B Jones + Su"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr L FOIL virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230215 1L (CA) Parrillo"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #3 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics FEB230375 3B (CA)Balboni"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #1 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics JUL231104 1C Rodriguez"
Masters Universe F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MASTERS UNIVERSE REVELATION #1 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics 2021 MAY210226 1B MOTU"
MASTERS UNIVERSE R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ZH FOC 1:10 VIRGIN Dynamite Comics DEC237144 1ZH (CA) Liefeld"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MASTERS UNIVERSE REVELATION #2 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics 2021 JUN210301 02B MOTU"
MASTERS UNIVERSE R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230205 1B (CA) Parrillo (W) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #3 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics JUL239634 3B (CA) Mhan"
Masters Universe F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MASTERS UNIVERSE REVELATION #1 Cvr A Dark Horse Comics 2021 MAY210225 1A MOTU"
MASTERS UNIVERSE R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ZB 1:200 virgin Dynamite Comics DEC230221 1ZB Parrillo 240109"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr X 1:60 FOIL VIRGIN Dynamite Comics 1X (CA) Lee + Chung"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #344 - Journey to the Pegs
Twincast / Podcast #344:
"Journey to the Pegs"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, February 24th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Fortress Maximus" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON