Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 1:16am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Rumors, Digital Media News, Editorials
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 46,818

Since posting a very small news story in the Comics section - about the role of ROM the Spaceknight in IDW's REVOLUTION crossover event - we've been mulling over this piece from Forbes, in which the author links the new The Last Knight font with ROM's traditional one in the Marvel comics.

Transformers News: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight

Several Seibertronians have thrown around a comment about ROM being the titular Last Knight in jest, but thinking about it - is it not possible that this is indeed the beginning of the wider Hasbro universe? Why the sudden change in fonts? Why does Galvatron/Megatron look like a Dire Wraith - ROM's main antagonists in the comics - made out of metal?

While we're at it, compare the tagline in the image below, with the one used for the Morse code teaser, 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. And remember the creators?

As the author of the Forbes piece says, there are some parallels in the visual - but is that where it stops? According to Chris Ryall, definitely maybe. Check out more below, and rev your speculation engines in the Energon Pub!

As I said before: “we know Hasbro has movie plans for Rom, the old Parker Brothers toy that was one of the first action figures to include electronic lights and sounds. He’s slated to be part of a shared cinematic universe that will also include the Micronauts, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and the Visionaries. It was assumed that Transformers would stay out of it, having previously announced plans for a spin-off universe of their own, and generally not needing the help. Even Age of Extinction, the lowest-grossing Transformers movie domestically (besides the animated one from the ’80s), raked in $1.1 billion worldwide, while the last G.I. Joe movie pulled in a ‘mere’ $375 million internationally. And yet: isn’t that how Marvel launched their cinematic universe? Using the popular character to segue into the riskier ones?”

Even if Rom isn’t happening, his iconography is being used. And as Rom is the least-known to the casual toy collector – aside from some convention exclusives, he hasn’t had a proper action figure of his own in decades – he is the one who needs the biggest push.

It’s time to transform him for the modern world…and roll out.

Credit(s): Forbes, wild speculation

This article was last modified on Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 1:25am CDT

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795730)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on June 8th, 2016 @ 1:23am CDT
Linkara is going to have a field day with this.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795731)
Posted by Sir Soundwave42 on June 8th, 2016 @ 1:31am CDT
I'm I gonna be able to watch tf5 without knowing about everything else in this new expanded universe?
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795732)
Posted by BumbleDouche on June 8th, 2016 @ 1:48am CDT
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795734)
Posted by Deadput on June 8th, 2016 @ 2:07am CDT
MegaDump wrote:Any other childhood heroes you'd like to sodomize, Mr. Bay? How long before he introduces some souped up, steroid-pumped, machine gun toting My Little Ponies into the Transformers universe?

Seriously you act like he has made Transformers into trash when all he has done is have a few bad stories and lack of fake expensive cgi robots is it any worse then the recent cartoons and some of the comics?

I would rather watch the bad moments of the movies then watch Transformers Prime ever again at least the movies are entertaining in its badness.

Never change silly fandom.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795735)
Posted by Deadput on June 8th, 2016 @ 2:09am CDT

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795737)
Posted by Va'al on June 8th, 2016 @ 2:24am CDT
Deadput wrote:

Never change silly fandom.

I'd suggest you all read the news we've been painstakingly posting, reporting and covering, before commenting in this manner.

The shared universe is not Bay's idea, it's Paramount and Hasbro's. The person in charge is Akiva Goldsman, and the various scripts that were suggested come from a team of writers. Bay has nothing to do with it until we know FOR CERTAIN that he's attached to a shared universe script.

Want to react superficially? Blame Goldsman. Not Bay.

Deadput wrote:Also who really cares about Rom the space Knight I mean really you expect him to get his own movie that people are going to pack into the theatre for?

A lot of people actually do. But not as much as the Transformers brand, which is why the piece suggested that ROM might be riding the coat-tails of TF until he's an established character.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795738)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 8th, 2016 @ 2:27am CDT
So I was right? Awesome. I have no connection to Rom, so it will be cool to see how this pans out on the big screen.

@sirsoundwave this is likely the first of the hasbro expanded universe so all you need is general knowledge of the tf movies.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795739)
Posted by partholon on June 8th, 2016 @ 2:32am CDT

but i gotta say THIS would get me in the door.

i really liked ROMs comic back in the day and the notion of autobots fighting someone that ISNT decepticons/humans ?

at least its new.

first time ive been actually excited in a good while.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795742)
Posted by BumbleDouche on June 8th, 2016 @ 3:14am CDT
Deadput wrote:

Never change silly fandom.

IT'S RUINED! RUINED FOREVER! TRUKK NOT MUNKY! .... ETC!
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795747)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 8th, 2016 @ 3:44am CDT
With all the times they have resurrected Megatron, including apparently in TLK, I hope they bring back Shockwave and give him a proper story. He was so mistreated in DoTM it was criminal. I'm waiting for them to say something like "Oh, that wasn't really Shockwave, just an advanced clone. Shockwave can make those, y'know, being a scientist and all."

As for this deal with Rom, I have no idea who the character is so I won't say anything about it, but I think the writers should focus on putting out a quality Transformers script first, before they involve any characters from anywhere else.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795757)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 8th, 2016 @ 5:03am CDT
partholon wrote:ive posted earlier in the thread that ive becomce completely jaded with the movieverse and TBH i was actually mulling on not going to see this one as i REALLY want a reboot to get the franchise sorted ala what happened with burtons batman.

but i gotta say THIS would get me in the door.

at least its new.

first time ive been actually excited in a good while.

To be fair the Burton movies didn't need a reboot (talking about the first two here, as for the other two, there was far too much meddling involved from outside sources), I never cared about the Nolan movies and i can't muster up any feeling about the new batman. There's not enough fun there.

That being said, if the hasbro universe is coming with the last knight then I think we can kiss any idea of a reboot away. Best we can get is if the movie designs started to change into what forms we like to see them in.
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795764)
Posted by dragons on June 8th, 2016 @ 6:48am CDT
Deadput wrote:

Never change silly fandom.

I take movies over animated series and comics any day in movies transformers are realistic looking and transform realistic unlike cartoon giant alien robot transforms into tape deck sound wave I'm naming and transformers going back in time dark ages frenzy riding one of seekers in jousting match , gridlock dressed as waiter serving spike, Carly , ultra Magnus and others with stupid looking mustache on his face in Dino mode, same can be said about comics there faces looking more human than robot most of time I feel reading Star Trek and Star Wars comics with characters transform in things
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795781)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 8:51am CDT
So, what we're saying here is that the Dire Wraiths are the Transformers' Creators?

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795783)
Posted by Va'al on June 8th, 2016 @ 8:56am CDT
This GIF is so relevant right now.

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795786)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:06am CDT
Cy-Kill: "The science of Gobotron would appear as magic to you Earthlings."
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795789)
Posted by kriksix on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:10am CDT
dragons wrote:
Deadput wrote:

Never change silly fandom.

huh. well it's all about subjectivity and taste I guess. Transformers:Prime is my perfect incarnation of Transformers lore. conversely, Beast Wars does nothing for me, and I haven't managed to get into RID, but I know it's not my place to judge those that like them. Paths are different.

Did you watch TFP through? I'm on my like 10th run through the series and it's an absolute pleasure. imhmfo nothing else comes close to the development of the characters and stories we know and love, and it's so well written, in both its darkness and humour, regardless of it effectively being a show for kids. I even like the role of humans in it, there's a lot of love. I can't think of a better representation of Shockwave, Soundwave, Magnus, Arcee etc. To me it even trumps the comics, even the G1 Uk ones, which is saying something.

I'll always watch and find some love in the movies. I still rate the first one. But even with the poorer later ones, there're always some elements that are awesome to a TF fan, even if it's just the development of CGI tech (transformium transformations notwithstanding).. I've had to just accept that they're not going to be well written or directed as a coherent films, but ever the optimist (prime), I still live in hope.

cartoons, comics or films, suspension of disbelief is key. you're not going to enjoy anything without it.

Life is long. I envisage a full reboot in like 2025 or sumfing. which will be awesome. again. then everyone can be happy. x
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795797)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:36am CDT

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795803)
Posted by Ravage XK on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:47am CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:A little Bumblebee comparison for everyone to see, brought to you by Jerren White, shared by the Ragin Nation Facebook page:

Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795806)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:51am CDT
Ravage XK wrote:Remember in the old 80s Knight Rider when they gave KITT that super pursuit mode and things got a bit silly? BB seems to be going the same way.

I have not watched the original Knight Rider, so I can't really say I remember. But I did watch the new series that was out in 2008 I believe, and his attack mode was pretty sweet. and of all the car modes, this new Bee is looking really cool. I think they've been getting better as they go along honestly :MAXIMAL:
Re: RUMOR: Transformers: The Last Knight - Beginning of Hasbro Shared Universe with ROM the Spaceknight (1795807)
Posted by Solrac333 on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:52am CDT
I actually never heard of ROM.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy Deluxe Hasbro Pre-Owned" on EBAY
Buy "Takaratomy Transformers Legends LG30 Wheelie &Go Shooter Action Figure To..." on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY