Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky"

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky"

Sunday, July 7th, 2019 4:06PM CDT

Categories: Site News, Digital Media News, Podcast
Posted by: ScottyP   Views: 41,489

There's smoke on the water and fire in the sky as the 226th episode of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast returns to discuss all the latest in an episode that's mostly about toys, toys and more toys. Host Scotty P welcomes regular cast member Megatronus and a last minute assist from special guest and former regular RodimusConvoy13 to look at what's coming soon and what's already here with Generations, Masterpiece and more. Will it be much more than meets the eye? You'll have to tune in to find out!

Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Here's what we talk about during this episode:

| Love us? Hate us? Extra Super Love us? Drop us a review on iTunes. |
| Want to keep the discussion going? You can do so by simply replying to this post! |
| Got a question for the Twincast? Ask the Twincast. |
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027661)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on July 7th, 2019 @ 9:59pm CDT
Forgive me for being that guy, but I've got to correct some stuff: Apeface is characterized as an intimidating jerk rather than a disgusting slob, I think you were mixing him up with his mate Snapdragon, and Red Alert also has a new head rather than just being a repaint.

Also just because I'm "too young" to have been around in G1 doesn't mean I don't know who Thunderwing is, how dare. ;)

Good show though guys.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027744)
Posted by ScottyP on July 8th, 2019 @ 3:54pm CDT
Nemesis Primal wrote:Forgive me for being that guy, but I've got to correct some stuff: Apeface is characterized as an intimidating jerk rather than a disgusting slob, I think you were mixing him up with his mate Snapdragon
Fair enough on the other points, but I want half-credit for this one! :lol: He doesn't drool so that was wrong, but he does spit. Also "smells like a grease-encrusted turboworm". Horri-Bull, Blot and Snapdragon are others I think of similarly, little less so with Horri-Bull due to Masterforce.

From Marvel's Transformers Universe

His VSD listing if that pic doesn't work/for Tech Spec: https://www.seibertron.com/vsd/character/apeface/227/
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027770)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on July 8th, 2019 @ 5:56pm CDT

Either way, your characterization of it is offensive and snobbish.

Further, why the hell not have scrapes and scratches on undying robot warriors that war for thousands of years.

- a critic
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027777)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on July 8th, 2019 @ 7:19pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:

...well, I've been had. My only real experience with the character is his TFWiki page, his very brief appearance in IDW as a mob member, and that one time I watched Rebirth, so I've never been an Apeface expert and should have kept that bit to myself. Oh well, that's an interesting tidbit. :lol:

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027803)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 8th, 2019 @ 9:13pm CDT
First off, great show guys! I really enjoyed the content of this one.

I pointed it out to Scotty earlier on Twitter, but mention it here too: SS Grimlock uses a fake dino head that transforms into part of his tail.

Man, I do not want Skyfire and have no real attachment to that robot mode, and the T30 one looks so much better, but I'm reaching that Counterpunch with MP-10 moment where I think I have an opinion but i think it is wrong. maybe around Christmas we'll have to see his availability.

Same with Springer, though I am really hoping we get a Guidi Drift out of it.

I am all in for Thunderwing!

I really like the battle damage, i love that aesthetic.

I guess Ari forgot to message me about going to TFcon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice hauls too!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027852)
Posted by Counterpunch on July 9th, 2019 @ 11:45am CDT
SkyFire Prime wrote:I'm going to be honest, I really like the Battle Damage, I think it looks especially good on Prime and Springer and I'll give you that on some figures, see Starscream it looks overdone.

Either way, your characterization of it is offensive and snobbish.

- a critic

Snobbish? Really?

Why isn't it on every exposed edge of the alt mode?

Are we actually assuming that these beings, who are made of metal...paint themselves? That the colors of their body are only a thin layer deep? Maybe. I'm not saying that's entirely absurd. Like, the coloration could be their clothing for example.

But the reason why I consider it to be a bad effort is because it's a total half measure. Either the damage should be pervasive or very minimal. The hit or miss nature of these paint apps sets the figures apart from previous releases and in the worst examples, looks amateurish.

Interestingly enough, some of the toys from the Unicron trilogy have scoring marks around areas that are appropriate...treads, thrusters, intricate mechanical parts, the nosecone of a shuttle. All well done and it doesn't stand out compared to the overall presentation of the toy.

I think this type of play pattern would have been better served with translucent sticker sheets allowing you to choose the why in which the damage was applied.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027867)
Posted by ScottyP on July 9th, 2019 @ 12:36pm CDT
SkyFire Prime wrote:Also, how ludicrous to go through all the trouble to remove the Battle Damage on Prime when the 35th Anniversary version was leaked and is obviously going to be Battle Damage free.
I was attempting it because I liked the set Reprolabels did and thought it would help that look.

Counterpunch already replied to the rest, I agree with him.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027872)
Posted by ScottyP on July 9th, 2019 @ 1:17pm CDT
Nemesis Primal wrote:Do you guys like the Springer mold enough that you would like to see it reused? I'd still like to see a Guidi-inspired Deadlock repaint/retool like the Barricade we're getting, but I've heard mutterings on other sites that the transformation is annoying/overly-involved.
I was really into his transformation, but the fires of third party hell have made complex transformations not even singe as long as they're logical and a little intuitive, as Springer is. This is another way of saying that I really liked it but am probably out of touch with what constitutes "overly-involved" for the main line :lol:

All for more uses as long as they fit the character. I wouldn't have minded seeing one with no car mode used for Spinister, but this is me being greedy and wanting big 'ol Alex Milne Spinister that towers over the other not-Grimlock Scavengers.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2027937)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on July 9th, 2019 @ 5:31pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:

Either way, your characterization of it is offensive and snobbish.

- a critic

Snobbish? Really?

Why isn't it on every exposed edge of the alt mode?

I think translucent stickers would be useless, the effect nullified by peeling, air pockets etc. Let's not give Hasbro any hope that we would be happy with any form of sticker, I'm sure on that we could agree.

Why isn't it on every edge? We'll, my car has a few scrapes and scratches but every edge is not covered in damage. Looking at Springer they scraped up the leading edge of the car mode....maybe because he's been ramming his enemies, his top hatch scraped.... maybe he was thrown off a cliff. The whole figure need not be scuffed.

I've seen damage effects before that made me frustrated. Animated deluxe Prime and Megatron come to mind. Straight up huge opaque black scorch marks or MP1 with similar opaque black scorch marks

But Siege has consistent finely granular lithographed reflective scrape and damage marks.
I appreciate the effort, and it makes the toys look more mature, adds character.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028015)
Posted by megatronus on July 9th, 2019 @ 10:35pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:I guess Ari forgot to message me about going to TFcon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! I'm self-actualizing. The more I say I'm going the more likely it becomes... but in truth it's still up in the air :(
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028016)
Posted by megatronus on July 9th, 2019 @ 10:47pm CDT
SkyFire Prime wrote:
Counterpunch wrote:
SkyFire Prime wrote:I like the Battle Damage, but admit it's hit or miss!
I disagree with your assessment sir, and raise you a translucent sticker sheet!
Translucent stickers? Poppycock! What is this, the Thrilling 30!?

:-?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028153)
Posted by ScottyP on July 10th, 2019 @ 12:06pm CDT
SkyFire Prime wrote:I do feel, however, that you guys haven't even given this new style a chance. The scrape effects on Prime and Springer were made with obvious care and not random. Soundwave has an amazing shatter effect on his window.
My wave 1 Optimus not bought for a sticker set has a money shot of paint on his face. That misses your point, just providing some levity, I hope.

Since going to tampos sure, nothing like that has happened. I take some issue with the "not giving it a chance" idea, because you're taking my/our opinion and reducing it in a way that makes it sound thoughtless and predetermined on my/our part. On some figures the effects are fine for what they are, Soundwave being a good example. Shockwave's pretty ok too. But line-wide it's inconsistent, Prowl barely has anything on him at all and my opinion on Starscream is that it's a mess - totally cool if you're into it and don't think it's messy though! On Springer it's decent enough on the green but I find it messy on the yellow. Personally I'd rather have clean decos because of the wildly varying results in execution the "damage" tampos yields, but again that's just me.

This particular episode probably didn't get this point across well because I kept it short on purpose - there are several previous episodes where I've said my peace in detail (I think, they run together sometimes) and I didn't want folks that have heard those points before have to sit through it all again. I can see how in the vacuum of this one episode it could sound pointed and douche-y when holding the opposite opinion. Thanks for listening in and providing the feedback :)
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028237)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on July 10th, 2019 @ 4:54pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:

Thanks for your response, I hope I've represented the alternative opinion well enough.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028254)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 10th, 2019 @ 6:28pm CDT
megatronus wrote:

So your TFcon commitment and my commitment to try Diaclone are equally as flappable at the moment, nice! :lol:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028287)
Posted by megatronus on July 10th, 2019 @ 10:04pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
megatronus wrote:

That pretty much sums it up :lol:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028362)
Posted by Counterpunch on July 11th, 2019 @ 1:12pm CDT
So, regarding my comment that got made into a question...

What I was really saying is that the modern MP line has changed things. Here's why...

There's always been a line that is effectively the top-tier, bandwagon stuff that defines what a collection "should" be at any given moment. I feel like this has always had three distinct phases: G1, Classics/Generations, and now MP. I'm not saying it's the right thing, but during their heyday, these were the de-facto lines people meant when talking about collecting.

Go back a long way and it was always a matter of how complete your G1 lineup was or how pristine it was. With Generations and Classics, it was always about how far you went to have the latest or most rare version of a character (Henkei, Botcon, Club, 3P, etc). Now it's MP. MP Official, 3P, Sunbow style...whatever.

At any given point during those times if you visited a serious collector's home, you'd probably find essentially the same stuff because if they were serious, there was almost an objective standard for what the best stuff was. Classics took that from G1. MP took that from Classics.

But these days, if I visit a friend's collection it's more likely to be different from my own or another analog for a collector. You can like Generations and it can be one of many flavors. One MP collector may have entirely 3P while another is strictly official Sunbow style.

It's a good thing, an interesting thing. There's an art to displaying and having a collection rather than everyone in the same pool.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2028946)
Posted by Ironhidensh on July 15th, 2019 @ 7:10am CDT
Good cast, as always! Thanks for tackling my question. I guess I'm feeling the splitting of the fandom in a different way.

See, most people love the current siege line, but I have a very hard time seeing it as anything more than kids toys, and as such, feel a bit out of place these days. Now, granted, that is totally my own fault. My focus on MP and 3rd party has made it very tough to enjoy "regular" figures. Kinda like Scotty said a few posts above, I'm a bit out of touch with what makes an amazing mainline figure. It makes it very hard to get enjoyment out of regular figures when you get used to such incredibly detailed and complex high end pieces. I guess that is the divide I see, I'm a bit jealous of those of you who still so enjoy regular figures. I love living vicariously through D-max's excitement and enjoyment of discovering and collecting the Beasties. Anyway....

Jetfire is an amazing figure. Not worth its overly inflated cost, like all of Hasbro these days, but amazing non the less.

The "battle damage" of siege sucks massive ass. End of story. ;)
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2030374)
Posted by Stargrave on July 19th, 2019 @ 11:36am CDT
I personally hated the idea of battle damage when I first heard about it but it’s totally grown on me I kind of see both sides.

I don’t think you’re snobbish, it’s a podcast. I listen to chuckle about Transformers. I expect some sass. I didn’t think it was that bad.

Hey I was listening to it again and when you talk about Spinister and mention a movie toy that it reminded you of it made me think of Skyhammer at first:
Transformers Dark of the Moon Skyhammer Gallery
But the shoulders are the cockpit it’s different than I remember. Was that also what you were thinking?

Looking forward to a post-Con episode gentlemen can’t wait. ;)^
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2031178)
Posted by ScottyP on July 23rd, 2019 @ 2:46pm CDT
^Close! D-Max actually pointed out to me what I was thinking of: Studio Series Grimlock's fake dino head.

Came in here with a quick PSA: while working on getting the next episode up, we've accidentally deleted the file for this one. Should be fixed in the next few hours.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #226 "Fire in the Sky" (2031266)
Posted by Stargrave on July 23rd, 2019 @ 9:06pm CDT
Score! Been looking forward to you guys tackling all these reveals. Can’t wait bro.

And speaking of which I love how they did that fake Dino head he’s my favorite Studio figure after BB Prime.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #235 - Pre-Holidaze
"Pre-Holidaze"
Posted: Sunday, November 24th, 2019

Buy "Hasbro Generations: Cybertron Soundwave Transformers Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "New Bumblebee Construct Bots Transformers Dinobot Riders Buildable action figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader SKYWARP Combiner Wars IDW Design" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall Of Cybertron AUTOBOT BLASTER & Steeljaw NEW! NIB!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generation Thrilling 30 Autobot Springer 2014 Ages 5+ Universal NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Rare NEW Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on EBAY
Buy "1982 Transformers Optimus Prime G1 Nearly Complete Original 1st Generation" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Fall of Cybertron GRIMLOCK - NEW MISB - GENERATIONS VOYAGER CLASS" on EBAY